Send us a suggestion!

Sandstone Spine by David Roberts...

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by beadysee, Jan 30, 2006.

1. beadysee

beadysee Guest

Kind of a love/hate thing, similar to "In Search of the Old Ones". Picked up this new book (a preproduction type copy) and read the darn thing cover to cover in a couple of sittings.

Covers a traverse of Comb Ridge in Arizona/Utah. Pretty well written (its David Roberts, maybe goes without saying) and if you spend much time in the area, pretty titillating story.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594850054/qid=1138643488/sr=1- 4/ref=sr_1_0_4/702-3731020-2556009

Should be available by March or so.

-Brian in SLC
  2. royserati

royserati Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "beadysee" <beadysee@y...> wrote:
    Kind of a love/hate thing, similar to "In Search of the Old Ones".

Hey Brian,

What did you hate about "In search of the Ancients"? I loved that book. Thanks for the heads up on this new book. I'm always looking for something new to read. In fact, we did a little book round- robin this winter (the canyoneering literati!) and I'll email you a copy of it if you'd like to see what your compadres are reading.

Take care, Roylnn

"The time that we kill keeps us alive"
  3. beadysee

beadysee Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "royserati" <rserati@m...> wrote: > What did you hate about "In search of the Ancients"?

I hated that I wasn't the only one privy to reading it! It kinda spurred a whole bunch of folks gettin' interested in poking around. So, part of me , in a very selfish way, thinks its not such a good thing to generate that kind of interest. Was funny to discuss that aspect of the book with David, as, he'd gotton some pretty heavy criticism along those lines. For instance, folks figured out where "the stuff" was that he tried to be vague about in the book, and now, its gone. He touches on that in this new book, as well.

> I loved that book.

I know. Me too. Almost makes you rabid right there on the spot.

> Thanks for the heads up on this new book. I'm always looking > for something new to read. In fact, we did a little book round- > robin this winter (the canyoneering literati!) and I'll email you a copy of it if you'd like to see what your compadres are reading.

That'd be super!

Thanks,

-Brian in SLC
  4. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "beadysee" <beadysee@y...> wrote: > Was funny to discuss that > aspect of the book with David, as, he'd gotton some pretty heavy > criticism along those lines. For instance, folks figured out > where "the stuff" was that he tried to be vague about in the book, > and now, its gone. He touches on that in this new book, as well.

Hey Brian. Cool you got yo meet and talk.....What did he have to say about the criticism? Who gave him a hard time about the hinting? By gone, did he mean known? desecrated? What? Ram
  5. beadysee

beadysee Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote: > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "beadysee" <beadysee@y...> wrote:
    Was funny to discuss that
    aspect of the book with David, as, he'd gotton some pretty heavy
    criticism along those lines. For instance, folks figured out
    where "the stuff" was that he tried to be vague about in the book,
    and now, its gone. He touches on that in this new book, as well.
    Hey Brian. Cool you got yo meet and talk.....What did he have to say > about the criticism?

Can't recall exactly. Was a NIMBY sort of thing, chuckling about that and his recent article (at the time, was 2003 or thereabouts) in Nat'l Geo Explorer (can't recall the article, something along the lines of loving it to death or the like).

Especially given that he lobbied the guy who did the guide for the Cedar Mesa area to get rid of his GPS coordinates.

> Who gave him a hard time about the hinting?

Local folk he'd pinged for info on the area, I seem to recall. He's done a ton of poking around down there. I remember some folks blamed him for the rash of recent "activity" in the area due to the book. And, no question, when you read the thing, really makes you want to go and do.

> By gone, did he mean known? desecrated? What?

As in removed. Both, methinks.

Was pretty neat for me to get to chat with him and especially one of his old climbing partners, Matt Hale (who also works for the EPA in D.C., which also spawned other pretty interested conversations...!). Neat getting both of them to sign one of my all time favorite climbing books, the Mountain of My Fear.

I'm wondering if he'll be in North Conway on/around 10/11 Feb (AAC annual meeting). That'd be fun. Missed him at his latest book signing in REI late last year.

-Brian in SLC
  6. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "beadysee" <beadysee@y...> wrote: something along the lines of > loving it to death or the like).
    Especially given that he lobbied the guy who did the guide for the > Cedar Mesa area to get rid of his GPS coordinates.

Specific locations of ruins up Grand Gulch/Cedar Mesa way? Interesting.

> Local folk he'd pinged for info on the area, I seem to recall. He's > done a ton of poking around down there. I remember some folks blamed > him for the rash of recent "activity" in the area due to the book.

Not much of a secret, except some specific ruins...or am I wrong?

> And, no question, when you read the thing, really makes you want to go > and do.

True. When do we leave? ;-) Seems that the book gives little hints for a wide range of different areas.

By gone, did he mean known? desecrated? What?
    As in removed. Both, methinks.

Hate to hear that is true. You know if folks visit, no biggie, but if it brought in the "wrong crowd-Ohhh!" that's a shame.

Neat getting both of them to sign one of my all time favorite climbing > books, the Mountain of My Fear.

Classic armchair Mteering tale. Recommended R