Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Superstitions Salome Jug 2-16-20

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Ram

Ram

We sat around the fire telling tales until after midnight. Sometimes you hear a story from someone you know and then you realize, with the story told that you never really know folks. Everyone seems to have a back story.

Up in the cool of the morning we do the 30 minute drive to the trail head. The start is low elevation desert and drops lower still. Saguaros and prickly pear cactus is everywhere growing in the sandy soil. When one first glimpses the pink granite and green blue water, first revealed by the the sound of rushing water, the sense is of an oasis in the desert. Three years earlier Jenny and I made the walk down only to find water too high for our comfort. Ten years earlier I did the canyon twice in 4 days, once with just Todd, the other with a large crew of wonderful folks. I was anxious to return and still owe Jenny a "run through" this lovely canyon, in the future.

On this day the sun was warm, the water inviting and the sky blue. I have only done the canyon in January and February, when the current has some bite, the low lighting casts wonderful shadows and the algae has not bloomed yet. We leave the desert a few feet away and feel the coolness coming off the water and suit up. Travel is made slick by the wet granite, polished from the flow. Travel is easier rock hopping or with the stabilizing effect of waist deep water or more. Knee high water? A bit more challenging. There are a few challenges.....slab bypasses, grooves leading one into the swiftest current. It often looks more dangerous than it is. There always seems to be a place to stand safely before the drops. Long wades and swims in lovely pools connect the dots of the passage, with the one rappel near the end. Describe the place in 2 words? "It sparkles." We swallow most of the day moving causally and cautiously. Pictures? I have some not too spotted by water on the lens and again, Todd has the true gems that I hope he shares later.

Sharps on approach
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Showtime
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Can any of our rock strata pros tell us what formation we're looking at in this canyon? It's pretty. Is it shown on this geology diagram of Tonto NM?
    Dripping Spring Quarzite, then?

tonto.
  3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

It's some type of pink granite, I think. Really neat.

I dimly recall its a short little gig, but, quite fun. Tom and I did it after flying into Phoenix, renting a car (small truck, thankfully) and driving to it without much beta. We didn't loose the rental car in the river crossing (thankfully...probably since it was a small truck...ha ha).

We had a short rope, which, was exactly the length of the last rappel. We left it fixed single and someone at the rondy retrieved it later. I still have the schredded remnants of it in the garage archives somewhere. Was an old pink ice climbing rope. 8mm I think.

We were kinda jammed for time, trying to get to Globe to hook up with the rest of the crew we hadn't met. We hiked out just after dusk. A mountain lion screeched right behind us at one point. Fun rolling into Globe having already got our feet wet, so to speak... Crazy trip. Good times!

Between Salome Jug, Cibeque (twice) and Crystal...a pretty nice, short trip.
    ratagonia and Ali Miller like this.
  4. Todd Martin

Todd Martin

5. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Nice shots, Todd!

Here's one from Tom and my trip awhile back... Note Tom trying out a prototype clear helmet, which, fortunately, never caught on...

SALOMEJUG03.
    ratagonia and RossK like this.
  6. RossK

RossK

It really does look pink in some of those shots. Many nice ones, but love the second from last
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Quartzite is not usually very sparkly. It is not quartz, it is silicone dioxide, but not crystalline, except at the micro level.

It is pink granite. The rock in Salome is probably stratigraphically below the geologic cross section from Tonto NM.

Tom