Send us a suggestion!

UT: Escalante Sad Cow Disease - May 26, 2013

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan Ransom, May 28, 2013.

1. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Ah, Sad Cow. Your name is so awful, but you are such a pretty slot. Descended this little gem with a handful of good friends as part of the annual Saddlefest over Memorial Day. We found the slot in great conditions, with knee deep water, and plenty of photo opportunities. With a little bit of thought, we ghosted all drops, and the next group should find the canyon in pristine conditions.

A few photos here, and full beta available in the betabase: http://canyoncollective.com/betabase/sad-cow-disease.92/

[​IMG]
    Heather at the base of the rappel, in phenomenal light.

[​IMG]
    Kevin on the 2nd rappel, into a nice little chamber. Water can be deep here after rains.

[​IMG]
    After the 2nd drop, the canyon drops quick. Everything is downclimbable, but some may prefer a belay.

[​IMG]
    Luke off the deck in the dark skinnies.

[​IMG]
    Tim rounds the corner into the beautiful lower chamber.

[​IMG]
    Mike in the Sad Cow Chamber.

[​IMG]
    Crazy light in the slanted hallway.

Featured Image for the Homepage
    slide.
  2. Ram

Ram

Its a GREAT name! LOL! I named it after all! Hee hee.
    Bill and Steve gave me the lead back in 2005. Took years to get to this one too! When we went, the folks gave me the front, as it was new to me and I so often defer to others. I solo'd thru the steep downclimbing section into the chamber and waited, a smile a mile wide and handed it off to Brechja, Eric, Jenny and others and went to the rear. Fifteen minutes later when I came upon the whole group and they offered me the lead back, I knew something was up. Soon the smell came wafting in. I mean it was awful. Vomit awful. And then when you got past the stupid beast who could not back out and died, you saw the baby calf, mummified. It stayed with mom until the end! Some were moved to deep emotion and THEN we realized it was Mother's Day! Pretty good name as far as I am concerned. If I can ever sign into my own pictures again (sheesh-thanks Google) I will show the pictures.
  3. Jenny

Jenny

Here are the photos I can gather from the discovery of the sad cow and calf that day in the canyon that day. Obviously the last two photos of the bones are from the following year. 6642688429_2e06d9efe6. 6642688771_c29b9be8cf. 6642689245_0dce27a3d4. 6642693849_0cd0e59ff6_z. 6642699203_ec6ac3231c_z.
    Ram and Louis Johnson like this.
  4. Louis Johnson

Louis Johnson

really incredible photos. Looks like you hit it at the right time of day. Guess it's another one to add to the list!
  5. Ram

Ram

Bump...

Courtesy of Dave Lewis
    What comes around, comes around again:vomit:

This sign was on the door of the Escalante GSNM Visitor Center earlier this week. Hope the "BLM and ranchers" have some nose plugs.

[​IMG]
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Little Death Hollow Narrows.
  7. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

I can't imagine how 3 would get stuck in there, its hardly wide enough for one :). I would think they are stuck below the where sad cow drops in. Unless they played follow the leader in there.
  8. Nan

Nan

We were in Little Death Hollow on Ap 11. There was no closure, though the register said you had to "climb over" the cows, which fortunately meant climb on a ledge around 2 of them. The 3rd you had to pass a bit closer to, but not a problem. Fortunately, too, the wind was blowing so the smell wasn't that bad. I don't particularly love cows, but it was sad. It looked like they were after water, maybe a cow and 2 calves. The mom had gotten her front legs and head down about a 5' drop and couldn't get back up. It looked like the calves just didn't know what to do but stay close. They had come from the top, and got past a few boulders, but were up canyon of the main boulders. Several SAR vehicles were at the metal shack en route to Wolverine Canyon. Another couple behind us later said they heard a message that sounded like a radio transmission saying the person was at the cows, so we speculated they might have been trying to move them. Not sure, though.

It's one of the nicer non-technical canyons I've been through.