Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Grand Canyon Ropes left in 150 Mile Canyon- GC

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by JAR, Dec 12, 2016.

1. JAR

JAR

Howdy,

A few friends and I just returned from our annual winter trip to the Grand Canyon. 150 mile is a beauty, and this was my second time there. All but the last 4 drops to the river had fixed Beal ropes AND parachute cord loops (a technique used by some in this canyon). No notes! The Beal ropes appeared to have been there a little while, and it was unclear if they were in good working order, although they didn't look too bad (we did set all of our own ropes for the canyon though with laminated notes with when we would retrieve them). We passed a hikers food cache with contact info on our first day who's expected pickup was January 2017. Once reaching civilization, I reached out to check if those were his ropes to which I received a response that they were NOT. Unclear if anyone was planning on using these to exit 150 mile we did not take them out of the canyon. If anyone knows who left these ropes, it would be great to know so that someone can remove these if they are not needed still.

On one of the Bypasses around a 50ish and 40ish foot drop, I suspect a somewhat recent rockfall has made that bypass much scarier and exposed than it previously was, possibly impassable. These drops do not have ropes, so if someone is planning on going from the river out 150 and utilizing both bypasses, it may not go!

Jon R
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks Erin.

Yes. People should put notes on anything they are leaving behind. Bad form.

Tom
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

150 Mile Canyon is part of two of the Steck Loops, each taking one week or more. The guidebook suggested that ropes be fixed in advance if anyone used the canyon as an exit route. In the past, the canyon would see so little traffic that no one probably bothered leaving a note. The canyon probably saw less than one descent/ascent per year. It's certainly a good idea to leave a rope now days.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

The paracord loops kinda live there now. I think that the beta for this technique is nearly universally known to those who travel that route. We found all but the last drop rigged with paracord last year. We had our own supply but just ended up using what was there on our return. I'd like to see no cord left long term, only cord left by a party who intends to remove it, but when people don't leave notes, you never how long its been there or will be. Best to just leave the cord at this point.

Too bad about the ropes though. Like tom said, bad form to not leave notes. But it would be a shame to ruin someone's trip by removing them.

Maybe the best way is to notify the park as they will have a record of all the issued permits. They would know the last group through and could make a couple phone calls if they could be bothered to.

Jon, do you have pictures of the rockfall? I believe the drops you are referring to are the one in the Temple Butte section that has the house size block at the top and the last one in the Muav slot, can you confirm?

Taylor
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I dropped a note to NPS Grand Canyon staff.

Tom
    Bootboy likes this.
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Maybe. Unless things have changed very recently, for the designated Primitive and Wild Zones in the Grand Canyon, the NPS only asks for which camping area you will be in (both camping areas on each side of 150 Mile cover huge areas), rather than for your route.

If someone did 150 Mile Canyon, based on their permit alone, the NPS would only know that they were somewhere between Tuckup Canyon (15 miles below 150 Mile Canyon) and Hack Canyon/Kanab Creek (maybe 20 miles from 150 Mile Canyon).
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Right, but anyone in 150 would be on their permit record for that use area. Like I said, a starting place.