Send us a suggestion!

Rope recommendation

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by KBDave, Sep 13, 2019 at 5:45 PM.

1. KBDave

KBDave

I'm a novice at canyoneering. I've done some rappelling before, but I've only been actual canyoneering once. I'm currently in a canyoneering class in college, and I aim to continue the sport after this.

I am thinking that I should get a rope. I won't be going solo or anything, but I also don't want to be a total leech when it comes to tagging along on trips with people. I've got a harness and a couple of carabiners and a CRITR2, I still have to get a helmet and a few more quick links, and tubular webbing. Anything else that I should definitely get?

I am looking at 200 ft ropes, in the 9-10mm range. Does this sound appropriate for a beginner? I'll be doing Southern Utah canyons, nothing huge at first but I'll get there.

Thanks in advance.
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

You do not need a rope. Helmet and wetsuit would be your first significant purchases.

Once you have done a double handful of canyons, you will have used several different ropes and will, perhaps, find a style that you find best. Quite a few people purchase a rope very early based on a flood of internet opinions, and figure out somewhat later that they bought something that turns out less than ideal.

Tom
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

The other way to tell when you need to buy a rope is when one of your more-experienced canyoneering friends pulls you aside and says "it would be nice if you would buy a rope".

Tom
  4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall

When you do decide to buy a rope I highly suggest the Imlay 8.3mm Canyon Fire. We use it for just about everything recreational - caving to canyoneering, and also use it in lightweight mountain rescue rigging in dual tension systems. Awesome rope and very static. In fact, I'm about to place another order for another one. I've got several lengths now that I use on a regular basis depending on what we're doing but need to pick up another 300 footer for some upcoming training classes we have planned.
    KBDave likes this.
  5. KBDave

KBDave

Thanks Tom. I will hold off on a rope for now then. I have never used a wetsuit, where do I even go to buy one? I feel like this is something I would need to try on or get measured for.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Adventure Plus in St G has a good selection, and TJ is a hardcore canyoneer. I have found a 4mm/3mm (aka a 4/3) (meaning, most panels are 4mm, but some are 3mm for greater mobility) works well for Zion and Utah in general. They are stretchy, so unless you are of unusual build one of the standard sizes should fit you well (although TJ might stock (or could order) tall sizes).

Tom
    KBDave likes this.
  7. KBDave

KBDave

Sweet, I'll have to make a trip down there next week. Thanks again.