Send us a suggestion!

Rope problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamid2010, Dec 25, 2016.

1. hamid2010

hamid2010

I have a problem
    when you go to canyoning and rope be dirty (wet and some time mud).
    you can clean that with water in the home,
    but
    after few time rope will be hard and sticky then its will be hard to work with rope and descender device .
    so
    how i can repair it and i have my soft rope again ?(is there any softener for rope ?)
    how i can prevent to this problem ?
    Thank you
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Hi Hamid

Obvious solution is to use a rope that doesn't get too stiff over time. Sterling's canyon ropes remain relatively supple for the life of the rope (for example), whereas Imlay and Bluewater can get quite stiff. Not sure what you mean by "sticky" - could you explain?

As to softening a hard rope, fabric softener* reportedly works (at least temporarily) but I remember reading a test report from the 80s or 90s that showed that a too-high concentration can damage nylon rope. Sorry, I don't have a reference for that.

See this thread for more info: http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8648

* e.g. Downy brand fabric softener
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    hamid2010 and Kuenn like this.
  3. hamid2010

hamid2010

Hi dear hank moon
    thanks for responding
    hard and sticky are same . That mean, it's will be hard to bend the rope and put that in your descender device.
    hank moon likes this.
  4. Kuenn

Kuenn

A thorough cleaning can help loosen up a stiff rope.

One method is to weave the rope in a 4 strand daisy chain and wash in Woolite in a front loading machine at a laundromat.

I've had good results with it along with a few strange looks from other patrons. It does seem to be more supple afterwards. Was once asked by a sweet old lady why I was washing rope. Reply, "because it was dirty?"

Another thought is to setup a pulley/belay "rope treadmill" and ascend a stiff rope a few times using mechanical ascenders (with teeth) - Petzl ascenders work well. Makes for good practice and the teeth digging in to the sheath has a fiber loosening effect.

Never used fabric softener on a rope...although a side benefit could help disguise that offensive locker room odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hamid2010 and AW~ like this.
  5. hamid2010

hamid2010

Thanks my friend :)
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have now actually tried the fabric softener thing. One capful of Downy in a cooler. Seems to have worked.

Tom
    hamid2010 likes this.
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I looked at my log and I am currently at 168 canyons in the last 5 years. That is a fair amount of canyons to some people, and much less than many others. I have only cleaned a rope one time during that time period and found it to be a waste of my time. Generally a rope will get core shot or damaged somewhere before it actually wears out. I average 1 rap device per year and have used the same biner on my rap device for 3 years now. YMMV
    hamid2010 likes this.
  8. hamid2010

hamid2010

Thanks for your answer
    but using general softener is not harmful for the rope Or is it advised with your rope company ???
  9. hamid2010

hamid2010

Thank you
    you use the rope in the wet or dry canyons ?
    (because this problem appeared when i went to a wet canyon with a lot of mud)
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

We do whatever. This last year was about half in zion and half outside zion. Combination of wet and dry. Usually both. When I get home after a wet canyon, I dump the rope out in the garage, let it dry for a couple of days, pick it up and drop it on the ground and most of the loose material falls off. Shove it back in the bag and go to the next canyon.
    hamid2010 likes this.
  11. hamid2010

hamid2010

Thanks a lot
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

The fibers used on technical ropes (Polyester, Nylon, Technora) are resistant to chemicals, so there are good reasons to believe that even a full soaking in concentrated "fabric softener" is unlikely to "harm" the rope. Any canyoneering rope. However, I am not a chemist, and have not run the 1000 tests required to make the above statement as a lab tech / expert. But I think I can, perhaps irresponsibly, offer the advice that a small amount of fabric softener is extremely unlikey to significantly impact the engineering characteristics of your rope. It may, however, make it a bit more lubricated, which might make it handle better. With that, it might also make it slightly less tough, so it might wear out a bit faster.

I cannot comment on how this would effect the DYNAMIC properties of a lead-climbing rope.

Tom
    hamid2010 likes this.
  13. hamid2010

hamid2010

Thanks a lot for your help
    I think it's working .
  14. Canyonero

Canyonero

Hmmm...never noticed a rope getting stiffer over time. I've had a lot start out kind of stiff and loosen up though.

I'm curious as to the rope- what's the brand?
    hamid2010 likes this.
  15. hamid2010

hamid2010

Thanks for your answer
    It was "BEAL Aqualine 9.5 mm" .
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have had a lot of Imlay Canyon Gear ropes get stiffer over time. We know ropes shrink. As they shrink it seems they would naturally get stiffer.

Tom
  17. Rapterman

Rapterman

All of our Bluewater canyon ropes have gotten stiffer with use- especially with dunking in water, and drying out.
    Assume because of shrinkage as Tom says ^^^
    ratagonia and hank moon like this.
  18. Kuenn

Kuenn

A tale of two ropes.

Some rope gets stiffer with age (like people), while some do not.

Case in point:
    FullSizeRender (3).

Facts: These two ropes are both Imlay brand. I purchased the green one - was given the orange one by a person with a lot of surplus rope (it was used rope). The green rope has been used several times, wet/dried, and is newer. The orange rope is much older, has been used a lot more, wet/dried, etc. The green rope is much stiffer than the orange. Green=100' Orange 60'

Experiment: Used both ropes on black Friday. Both had to be ascended. Several complaints about the orange rope being difficult to ascend because it was not stiff.

Hypothesis: No clue as to why one stiffened over time while the other did not. I believe they are both identical in raw material composition.

Conclusion: Given specific applications, stiff rope is not necessarily a bad thing.

24132058_388802971574307_6662339802197248208_o.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017