Send us a suggestion!

rope length

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by garthkevin1, Feb 6, 2019.

1. garthkevin1

garthkevin1

I'm just getting in to canyoneering, I'm primarily a hiker and multi day backpacker. Anyway, I have a 66" footer from Sterling and I'm looking to add another rope to my arsenal. So should I go for something like 100' to 120' or just go all in at 200'?? Thoughts??
  2. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

I’d just get a 200 footer. Very versatile length. And many great canyons require it.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

You should find some people to go with that know what they are doing. An indication that they know what they are doing is that they would have a good selection of ropes, and they would offer to let you carry them.

I know many people will view that as snark. Well, okay. It is a snarky way of saying something sincere. More rope is not useful to you at this point. Getting some canyons under your belt with people that know what they are doing would be much more useful... and will answer your question.

Tom
  4. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Yeah, get a 60m/200 footer.

That'll give you kudos when joining a group. Even a snarky experienced group.
  5. garthkevin1

garthkevin1

Tom,
    Not snarky and all good advice. Some of the people I've meet are limited on equipment, so I don't my getting a rope as well as carrying it.
    ratagonia likes this.
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

When I got into canyoneering the first rope I bought was 200' and a pull cord since I wanted to do stuff in Zion. The problem is outside of Zion most of the drops are shorter and the canyons are narrower so 1-2 ropes in the 120' range is better than a single 200' since they can be split up and make for smaller packs. So it really depends on what area you think you'll spend the bulk of your time in. If you plan on sticking to Zion for a while I'd go with the 200', outside of Zion I'd recommend 2x120'. There are longer drops outside of Zion, but they tend to be rarer.
  7. garthkevin1

garthkevin1

Tom,
    Thanks. I'm in Az and plan on sticking to this area for now. Might head north sometime.
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Oh yeah there are canyons outside Utah (oops) Well the advice still applies with some modification, get online and look and see what the usual drop lengths are for the canyons in your area and see what length best fits those canyons. Ropewiki is a great place to see what the longest drop in the canyon is, if lots of canyons need a rope that is over 120' then yeah I'd go with a 200'
    NorthBound likes this.