Send us a suggestion!

Rope left in Yankee Doodle Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Chris Harmon, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Chris Harmon

Chris Harmon geckobiker

I took my son in law down Yankee-doodle canyon today (Friday 2/21). We entered at 4:00 PM. There was a rope hanging on the chains at the 70' drop. Not sure who owns it as no one else was around or in parking area. Had a nice green Imaly rope bag tied off at bottom, no identification. I moved the connection biner from the quick link onto the chains so I could proceed. I left the rope there. Perhaps it's owner should retrieve it early tomorrow as it looks like a nice day, and I'm sure it will be busy. The next finder may not be as nice. Attached to biner with a double bowline, interesting.

Canyon full of ice water. Last pot hole really really deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ratagonia likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

It is fairly normal to leave a rope on the big rappel, and then go fetch it at the end.

Tom
    Chris Grove likes this.
  3. Chris Harmon

Chris Harmon geckobiker

Rope not big rappel.

Perhaps you should let ZAC know that is normal to leave rope on big rappel. I have had lots of negative encounters with ZAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Ram

Ram

Interesting. My experience has been quite the opposite. Wonderful young and talented people, getting excellent training and guidance, trying their hardest to both teach, learn and share wonderful experiences. I do know something for sure.... Over at ZAC they would be VERY interested to hear about the bad experiences that you have had with them and would regret them and want to rectify them, going forward. They strive to be better. Consider contacting them and voicing your concerns....or share here and word will certainly come to them. Nobody or organization is perfect, but on the balance, I am a big fan of this one.
    Ram
    Dave Melton, 2065toyota, Wes1 and 3 others like this.
  5. davebuc

davebuc

"Perhaps you should let ZAC know that is normal to leave rope on big rappel. I have had lots of negative encounters with ZAC."

Hey Chris,
    The ZAC guides know that occasionally ropes are left at this Yankee Doodle rappel.

ZAC strives to consistently deliver excellence and professionalism.
    As Ram suggested above, I am interested in hearing about the bad experiences that you have had with ZAC so that we can learn from them and improve. Feel free to write me a P.M. or an email david@zionadventures.com. If you prefer to speak on the phone, email me you number and a time you would like me to call.

Dave Buckingham
    Manager
    Zion Adventure Co
    hank moon, Wes1, ScottM and 1 other person like this.
  6. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I've ran into ZAC a few times also and have never had any type of bad experience with the guides or their clients.
    hank moon likes this.
  7. Krampus

Krampus

I've bumped into ZAC guide twice in Water Canyon. Both great encounters. I didn't get their names but they were courteous and let us pass since they were with some slower moving clients.
    hank moon likes this.
  8. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

My only encounter with ZAC was in Birchhollow 2 years back. We waited for them to finish the 1st mandatory rappel. After they cleared out I noticed they left a 200 ft rope in a rope bag sitting at the top of the rappel. CANYON BOOTY !!! JK. We returned it at the next rappel. Overall both guides were very courteous & fun to talk to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    darhawk and ratagonia like this.
  9. Chris Harmon

Chris Harmon geckobiker

Normally i have had very good experience with ZAC. The only negative instances is at Yankee Doodle (twice) Lots of interesting guide response in this canyon, really good ones, and super bad ones. I guess it depends on the day and their clients. Crazy that a bunch of responses a year after the original post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    dakotabelliston likes this.
  10. trackrunner

trackrunner

Lots of different guide companies in this canyon. The person/company that bolted this canyon was not ZAC. Are the downclimbs similar difficulty to your front porch still bolted?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Phavant and ratagonia like this.