Send us a suggestion!

Rope Hanging in Not-Imlay ??? Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

July 18, 2016

It is reported that there is a rope hanging off the last rap of Not-Imlay into The Narrows. Visitors in the Narrows are using the rope to swing into a pool... fun! Of course, if the rope should let go before they are over the deep part, bad things could ensue.

Anyone interested in going and getting it? I could be up for a Tuesday trip. Early start helpful.

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Looks like it is probably taken care of by now --->

Guy from southwest Canyoneering group:

Anyone lose a rope to NotImlay this weekend?

Walking down the Zion canyon narrows on Sunday, my group came upon a single strand of rope hanging from NotImlay (I think). This appeared to be a stuck rope or a single strand static rigged.

Narrows visitors had tied a short piece of wood to it and were using it as a rope swing. Kids were swinging on it across the river and over rocks. You could just see they had created white mess of coreshot up at the lip so this seemed like a bad plan. It snapped while I was present. But I didn't see it happen, I'm guessing the visitor landed on their feet because nobody appeared to be hurt. I collected the rope (LNT, right?).

1) If it was yours, message me. You now have two shorter strands (due to a secondary abrasion point) I'll attempt to get them back to you.
    2) In high use areas, it seems best to cut ropes as high as possible so people don't hurt themselves. This wouldn't have occured to me either.
    Rapterman, Ram and darhawk like this.
  3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Hmm, good point. Or, if you can come back the next day to retrieve, perhaps leave a note?

Great suggestion. I know I've run across a few perfectly intact ropes that were left for weeks in Zion...
    Rapterman, Ram and darhawk like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia