Send us a suggestion!

rope groove half-life (was: undisclosed canyons)

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by jddiener, Oct 1, 2012.

1. jddiener

jddiener Guest

Dave,

This brings up something I've been wondering about - how long do rope grooves or other markings take to disappear? How many floods? Obviously, there are a lot of variables, but I'm curious if anyone has any data, anecdotal or not. For example, did I hear that the g-pick holes in Alcatraz are gone? How often do the hook holes in Imlay get re-drilled? Rope grooves, of course, have a tendency to get re-generated or deepened with time, so maybe a more difficult case to track.

-john

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote:
    > I would point out two things for the general conversation:
    1. Ghosting techniques have not been worked out to the extent that the terminology may suggest. Perhaps further work will eliminate many of the problems, but at this time sand bag, sand trap, water trap, and like techniques are causing a certain amount of rope grooves.
    2. If you are the one to popularize a canyon, in a short while you will be able to go back and see rope grooves which you can consider to be a direct result of your actions.
    Dave >