Send us a suggestion!

Rope Dilemma

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by pyle762, Apr 10, 2018.

1. pyle762

pyle762

So I was able to get a great deal on a 200 meter rope. I am getting this rope to do big raps, like Insomnia, Lower Waterholes, Englestead, etc. This rope will only be used for the big drops. My dilemma is to cut it or knot (pun intended).

Pros to cutting it-
    Less weight and can be split up among the group (it is 9mm rope and it weighs in at 25 lbs as a single rope)
    Easier to manage

Pros to keeping uncut-
    650' of rope to work with in an emergency, lowering etc. with no knots to deal with
    (That's the best I can come up with)

Any suggestions on what to do with it? Also what lengths would you suggest if dividing it. I am thinking either right down the middle or a section at roughly 350' and another at 300'.

I am leaning toward the 300 and 350 foot sections unless there are some compelling reasons that I should do something else.

Any input would be appreciated.
  2. MrAdam

MrAdam

Unless you are planning on actually doing a canyon with a rappel over 400', of which there arent many, I would cut it. Personally, I cut my 660' spool of C-IV down into a 320', 220' and 120'. A 320' rope will get you thru all the canyons you mentioned and the other lengths make great working ropes and can be tied together for the pull on any of the 300" rappels.
    GravityWins likes this.
  3. 2065toyota

2065toyota

My last spool I went 340, 240, 80

That way when they shrink i have good usuable lengths
    Tom Collins likes this.
  4. Andrew J Farrow

Andrew J Farrow

1 - your 200m spool will [ after washing // drying and a few uses ] shrink by 03 ~ 10%

2 - as stated your longest rope should be tailored for the biggest pitch

3 - dragging a single 200m rope EVERYWHERE will actually create more problemms [ pack size weight - getting stick - fatigue ] than it alleviates [ being able to do a full 100m pich loweroff ]

just mmy opinion - YMMV