Send us a suggestion!

Rope Core Curiosity

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by NevadaSlots, Feb 8, 2019.

1. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

Recently had to do do some rope maintenance, upon cutting off the unwanted 9FED121D-679E-47BD-A342-F360895097D4. I discovered this thin plastic strip running between the inner fibers, I assume it runs the whole length of the rope. Does anybody have any idea what the purpose is? Part of manufacturing?
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Most ropes have a tracer inside them, which provides the batch number of the rope, so it can be traced back to the raw material batch (etc.) Looks like that. Usually has some codes on it somewhere.

Tom
  3. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

ID tape printed with rope info such as certifications, mfg. address, mfg. date, etc. Pull a little more out and should be text on it.
  4. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

I believe its called a "continuous identification tape".

For some ropes, the NFPA standard requires it:

5.1.1.13* In addition to the compliance statement specified in 5.1.1.8, each life safety rope shall also be marked for its full length by insertion of a continuous identification tape(s). At least the following statement and information shall be legibly printed on the tape not less than once every meter (39 in.). “MEETS REQUIREMENTS FOR LIFE SAFETY ROPE OF NFPA 1983” Certification organization's label, symbol, or identifying mark Name of manufacturer Year and quarter of manufacture (not coded)