Send us a suggestion!

Rock of Ages/Pool Arch Canyon bolts chopped

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

FYI; all of the bolts on the last drop of Rock of Ages/Pool Arch Canyon have been pulled. Who ever chopped them didn't do a very good job of it though and the holes weren't filled in.
    Sutitan likes this.
  2. Steven Nguyen

Steven Nguyen

Why would anyone do that? I'm sure fresh bolts will go in given that the tour companies run that route often, so really it's just going to cause more damage.
  3. Sutitan

Sutitan

Thanks for the heads up. I dont recall 100% where those bolts were, but I think they were on a small wall right next to the watercourse if I recall correctly. Seemed like a solid spot to me. I also remember the surrounding area being somewhat bare although I wasn't looking for new anchor points at the time. There might have been some trees on the surrounding rim, but I feel like alot of the ground was loose and unstable.

Potentially someone upset with the tour companies trying to inconvenience them?
    wisconnyjohnny likes this.
  4. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Scott, what did you use to build an anchor, and where?
  5. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

These were the bolts that were there a couple years ago.

DSCF2597.JPG
    Sutitan likes this.
  6. Sutitan

Sutitan

Those might be the same ones I used last year, although I feel like I remember almost having a small roof of sorts over my head. Ill have to dig through and see if I took any photos. Also, I feel like I recall there were some more bolts further back from the edge that we tethered into.
  7. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

there had been one bolt in the watercourse, and the main bolt station itself was somewhat hidden, under a slight roof, a two or three bolt station on the right side looking down canyon, allowing for a nice free rap to exit the route.
  8. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

My photos are from Nov. 2015, so things might be different, but I haven't heard of any bolt station changes until now.

This pic shows the single bolt (circled) above the 5' drop off to a ledge that I'm standing on, and is used primarily to attach a hand line or tether. The arrow is pointing to the former bolt station that was back up under the overhang but was moved because pulling the rope was causing rope grooves.

InkedDSCF2598_LI.

This photo is showing the new station and the rope grooves from the former bolt station.

InkedDSCF2600_LI.
    ratagonia likes this.
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

You can walk around that drop on the left side. All of the rappels in Rock of Ages/Pool Arch have walk-around routes.

Anyway, I wasn't the one who saw the chopped bolts, but thought it would be good to get the word out.

If you want to see photos and have FB, see Catherine Eden's post below from 3/15:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/971061026304205/
    Sandstoned and hank moon like this.
  10. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson