Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash Right Fork Leprechaun

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wisconnyjohnny, Mar 11, 2017.

1. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny Stemming Minions

Ok so I learned the prefix addition on this thread.
    Thursday morning we are at the burger place in Hanksville getting some wifi lettin loved ones know we are not dead yet. Trying to decide what canyon to do and in walks a friend we met in Marble Canyon 2 summers ago. Completely random. He was gonna camp in Hite but decided to set up next to us at sandthrax. It was a great reason to rest our bodies and not go in a canyon. I was awfully scraped up and bruised from Morocco the day before. I don't know where that came from.
    Friday morning we woke up and decided we would pack up our camp and head back to Escalante for our own bed and hot showers plus outfitters Pizza.
    However we just had to do one more canyon. Right Fork Leprechaun it was.
    we had chatted up some other canyoneers in camp about the approach and got finger pointing of an approach route from camp. We were not familiar with this approach and decided to go with what we knew.
    We parked at the normal trail head for all three forks and did what i surmise is the long approach. Took about 90 minutes to get to the optional rappel. I learned about myself that canyoneering isn't fun when your tired and beat up. I skipped the optional rappel and walked in heading south then back north.
    At the beginning of the narrows there was an anchor but we down climbed. And then the scraping began. about 45 minutes in all my wounds were open and wet with blood and plasma. I was getting crankier by the minute as The beauty had not started that i had envisioned.
    A point came where the girlfriend and I had to partner assist and that really lightened my mood. Alas some beauty. A stretch of a few corners in one narrows section has some beautifully carved walls i likened to Antelope canyon. I started to smile. I saw some carvings on the wall at one point and that got my ire raised. IDIOTS!!!!!
    The canyon was a squeeze a lot of the time. Towards the end after the last rap we played with sand in a carved area and made sand falls. We thought "oh well this was a pleasant canyon."
    And then the confluence with middle fork. Wow just wow.! The angel music started playing in my head. I was very impressed by the last section as well as taking a peek up middle fork.
    We were in awe looking up at the high walls. This canyon just went from one character to a totally different character. I found the answer why we went out. never know what you are gonna see. We high fived in the subway section and both shared what we wanted most back at the car. me a PBR her a new pair of pants as she got a nice scuttle butt hole.
    We were also very happy the canyon was dry. haha!

IMG_4892.JPG IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4934.PNG IMG_4944.JPG IMG_4939.JPG IMG_4925.JPG
    Jared Robertson, RossK, Kuenn and 2 others like this.
  2. RyanGJ

RyanGJ

Heading there in early April, did you encounter any water?
    dakotabelliston and John Styrnol like this.
  3. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Here's a little relationship advice- your girlfriend will love you and the canyons way more if you get some knee and elbow pads for her (and yourself). A necessity almost everywhere but Zion!
    dakotabelliston and ratagonia like this.
  4. wisconnyjohnny

a small puddle that was avoidable. I always call blm to check how much precipitation has fallen. And watch the weather there!
  5. wisconnyjohnny

haha i'm the reckless one! she stayed unscraped for the most part just sore body. Me on the other hand am a scabby mess. I never wore pads skateboarding in my younger years. I am just old fashion but yeah I'll let her know we can get her some.!!!! You are the second person with this sound advice. Thanks.
    Jolly Green likes this.
  6. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Ha. Possibly more important than a rope in some canyons.
  7. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

At least long pants and a long shirt at the minimal.:twothumbs::D
    dakotabelliston likes this.
  8. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

I've only done RF Lep twice, in 2004 and in 2013 both times in the Feb/Mar time frame and no water.
    dakotabelliston likes this.
  9. wisconnyjohnny

i definitely had pants and long sleeve on. my scrapes were from Morocco a day and half before.
  10. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

We were in East Lep yesterday, a group of 8 of us with young ones, and also noticed the graffiti on the walls. I was very disappointed to see this, specifically within the technical section. We used this as a learning opportunity to teach the young ones (all 4 under the age of 10) the value of respecting the wilderness. Here is a video I took of the carvings:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByUDMdwFBo_YeVljUk5wSEEzcDA

PS the pool of water noted above is nearly dry, with a little bit of mud.
  11. wisconnyjohnny

:furious:
    yeah who gos in there with ropes and does that sh@t????
    floored me really.
    ScottM and Kuenn like this.
  12. Kuenn

Kuenn

@wisconnyjohnny IDIOTS for sure! What was it my folks used to say about "fools' names, like fools' faces...ending up in public places". These imbeciles are obviously lacking in good parental indoctrination (and or woodsheds).

@ScottM Valuable teaching moment for the young ones... the world needs more guardians like your kind.

I vehemently despise graffiti and think even less of those who create it!
    ScottM and Sandstone Addiction like this.
  13. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Thanks, guys. Yeah, when I veered around the corner, and caught a quick glance at the extent of the graffiti, my mind immediately went to the thoughts of our little ones in tow. Such impressionable minds! In the back of my mind I cannot help but think despite the discussions we had there on the scene, the visual perception they received from witnessing the damage will obviously be held with some curiosity.
    dakotabelliston and Kuenn like this.
  14. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

Johnny what day did you go through? I'm curious if it was Johnny's blood I kept finding on the walls lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk