Send us a suggestion!

RG commentary on the helicopter crash

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by adkramoo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

Most all have heard about the heli crash http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/29/helicopter.crash/index.html and its sad results. Rick Green apparently had dealing with the unfortunate crew and has sent me this commentary to post.....Sad.

Hey Ram-

Just thought I should pass this along: The two medical copters that went down in Flagstaff yesterday are not only an incredibly profound loss of life to a certain degree may also have affected the current readiness for medical evacuations in N Arizona/S Utah. Just a short time ago a flight team from Classic Helicopters out of Page flew up to Escalante to meet with S n R folks, guides, etc from this area. They had a flight nurse, paramedic, asst. pilot/navigator and Pilot and room for one patient on board, which they explained was they're standard "package". Not only was the group totally professional they came across as people completely dedicated to "being there" when it hits the fan and bringing the "A game" to boot. The pilot had the most opportunity to speak, he was a Vietnam Vet who was so in love with what he was doing it came out in every word and gesture that the man made. He told the entire group "If you need us call us. If you think you need us, call us. If you think might need us later call us. Do not hesitate to call us; we can easily turn that copter around". "We are here for you" was another quote that stuck in my mind. I think it pretty well summed up his outlook on life and after this meeting I can honestly say I moved people's butts across this desert and through the canyons with more confidence knowing the A Team was on five minutes standby if it ever "hit the fan". The risks these people take for others on so many levels, is unbelievable.

As I understand it the Pilot we were fortunate enough to meet was one of the perished in this crash. If this is true, readiness in the region is definitely affected.
  2. Eric Godfrey

Eric Godfrey Guest

A couple of our ER nurses were on one of the Heli's too, I didn't know them well but it's hit our Hospital pretty hard. Very sad.
  3. For perspective, the company out of Page had a response time to most major canyoneering areas on the Colorado Plateau that was less than 45 minutes. As little as 15-20 for some. They have been running two rotor-wing aircraft and one fixed wing, all of which responded to emergencies on a daily basis. Obviously, not just due to the loss of life, but the loss of the equipment will have a major, although I'm sure temporary, effect on the ability to evacuate and transport critically ill and injured patients in the region.

I have flown with Classic Lifeguard on four seperate occasions on rescues-once to 50-Mile Mountain overlooking the Escalante Canyons (took less than 15 minutes from Page) for a ledged-up hiker. Another trip was to extricate a gentleman with a broken ankle from Misery Canyon near Zion. Response time, including picking me up and landing near the canyon, was less than an hour.

I've dealt with the company and their staff for nearly 10 years, transferring patients from our ambulance in Kane County to them, riding with them on rescues, and now as a nurse receiving cardiovascular patients from them at Dixie Regional. I've even flown with the pilot that perished. You will never hear me utter anything less than absolute praise for the people that work for that company and the fantastic, dedicated, skilled, and life-saving care that they have provided all of these years to the Four Corners region.

This is truly a tragic and significant loss to the communities, counties, states, and visitors of the Colorado Plateau.

Dean

Quoting adkramoo adkramoo@aol.com>:

> Most all have heard about the heli crash > http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/29/helicopter.crash/index.html
    and its sad results. Rick Green apparently had dealing with the > unfortunate crew and has sent me this commentary to post.....Sad.
    Hey Ram-
    Just thought I should pass this along: The two medical copters that > went down in Flagstaff yesterday are not only an incredibly profound > loss of life to a certain degree may also have affected the current > readiness for medical evacuations in N Arizona/S Utah. Just a short > time ago a flight team from Classic Helicopters out of Page flew up to > Escalante to meet with S n R folks, guides, etc from this area. They > had a flight nurse, paramedic, asst. pilot/navigator and Pilot and > room for one patient on board, which they explained was they're > standard "package". Not only was the group totally professional they > came across as people completely dedicated to "being there" when it > hits the fan and bringing the "A game" to boot. The pilot had the > most opportunity to speak, he was a Vietnam Vet who was so in love > with what he was doing it came out in every word and gesture that the > man made. He told the entire group "If you need us call us. If you > think you need us, call us. If you think might need us later call > us. Do not hesitate to call us; we can easily turn that copter > around". "We are here for you" was another quote that stuck in my > mind. I think it pretty well summed up his outlook on life and after > this meeting I can honestly say I moved people's butts across this > desert and through the canyons with more confidence knowing the A Team > was on five minutes standby if it ever "hit the fan". The risks > these people take for others on so many levels, is unbelievable.
    As I understand it the Pilot we were fortunate enough to meet was one > of the perished in this crash. If this is true, readiness in the > region is definitely affected.