Send us a suggestion!

Return of the Intrepid Explorer

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by onehappyone2003, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Rick Kent is back. He lead the first descent of the North Fork of Styx canyon in Death Valley yesterday. It's a great find at 7 new raps up to 100', mostly vertical, and beautiful twisting terrain and great approach with all the stunning views we hold so dear. Terrific canyon and a fabulous welcome back to him from one of the places he loves most.

For those that don't know, Rick was critically injured when his ankle was crushed by a rolling boulder about 14 weeks ago in Zion. Helicopter rescue, surgery, pins and plates and all..

There are no words to express just how awesome it was to be back out there with him again. So I'll let a few photos do the work.

http://tinyurl.com/4nk2sgj
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

Severely injured, not critically I hope? Anyway, that is one impatient and determined dude getting back out soon soon after such bad injuries. Was the accident in October? Might be the time to go with him. I would have a chance to keep up perhaps? ;-) How much pain did he endure? Lori, thanks for the report and welcome back Rick! R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "onehappyone2003" <onehappyone2003@...> wrote:
    > Rick Kent is back. He lead the first descent of the North Fork of Styx canyon in Death Valley yesterday. It's a great find at 7 new raps up to 100', mostly vertical, and beautiful twisting terrain and great approach with all the stunning views we hold so dear. Terrific canyon and a fabulous welcome back to him from one of the places he loves most.
    For those that don't know, Rick was critically injured when his ankle was crushed by a rolling boulder about 14 weeks ago in Zion. Helicopter rescue, surgery, pins and plates and all..
    There are no words to express just how awesome it was to be back out there with him again. So I'll let a few photos do the work.
    > http://tinyurl.com/4nk2sgj
  3. Well, Ram, I had to run to keep up, but that's no reflection on you! At one time as I ran to catch up to take a turn in the front of the group... ran.. and ran... and downclimbed and downclimbed... and finally found him, standing there at the bottom of something large with a big ol' amazing smile on his face.

It was pretty fitting don't you think that he finished his first full canyon "over the boulder?"

Lol!

You'll have to ask him about the owie-level. Terrain still matters though. No jumps. L

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Severely injured, not critically I hope? Anyway, that is one impatient and determined dude getting back out soon soon after such bad injuries. Was the accident in October? Might be the time to go with him. I would have a chance to keep up perhaps? ;-) How much pain did he endure? Lori, thanks for the report and welcome back Rick! > R
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "onehappyone2003" <onehappyone2003@> wrote:

Rick Kent is back. He lead the first descent of the North Fork of Styx canyon in Death Valley yesterday. It's a great find at 7 new raps up to 100', mostly vertical, and beautiful twisting terrain and great approach with all the stunning views we hold so dear. Terrific canyon and a fabulous welcome back to him from one of the places he loves most.

http://tinyurl.com/4nk2sgj
  4. Mike Schasch

Mike Schasch Guest

So happy to hear this. Hopefully we can meet up in February. Thanks for the pictures Lori!

mike

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "onehappyone2003" <onehappyone2003@...> wrote:
    > Rick Kent is back. He lead the first descent of the North Fork of Styx canyon in Death Valley yesterday. It's a great find at 7 new raps up to 100', mostly vertical, and beautiful twisting terrain and great approach with all the stunning views we hold so dear. Terrific canyon and a fabulous welcome back to him from one of the places he loves most.
    > http://tinyurl.com/4nk2sgj