Send us a suggestion!

News Rescue in Chambers, Robbers Roost, March 24, 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Mar 24, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Man rescued after getting wedged in a slot canyon in Wayne County

By:
    • Jenn Gardiner
      Posted: Mar 24, 2019 04:09 PM MDT
      Updated: Mar 24, 2019 04:09 PM MDT

WAYNE COUNTY, Utah (ABC4 News) - Search and rescue teams helped to free a man wedged in a slot canyon Saturday evening in Wayne County.

According to a press release, the incident happened just around 7 p.m. in the Robbers Roost area of Chambers Flat Canyon.

A group had just finished rappelling and were headed out of the canyon when the man got stuck, according to the press release.

Teams from Wayne County Search and Rescue as well as the Utah Department of Public Safety Aero Bureau responded.

12 SAR members were flown to the area, which is just east of Hanksville, from the Chambers Flat trailhead to help assist the man.

The crews rappelled down the slot canyon just after midnight and were able to rescue the man around 3:30 a.m.

The man was then flown to the airport in Hanksville where he was cleared by medical personnel.

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-new...28r1XDJij8Z_u-Iwl5FiC0w0clS_5P1A9_FqzTWYjFKLU
    Ram and Ali Miller like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

The media may not have gotten all the details exactly correct.

Tom
    mattwilliams and Scott Byington like this.
  3. YoungBuck

YoungBuck

I can't imagine dragging a rope through Chambers to rap that final baby drop.
  4. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

Serious stuff with skinny canyons. Exercise caution fellow adventurers.
  5. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Little bull is in the chambers area if I recall correctly and it has a tight section after the rappel that one could get stuck in.
    Dan Ransom, Kuenn and ratagonia like this.
  6. Kuenn

Kuenn

Tom C. thanks for the insight. I was a little puzzled at first with the size of the rescue party "12 SAR members were flown to the area". Freeing a stuck body is serious business though. (John Edward Jones, Floyd Collins,... RIP)
  7. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

I've done little bull twice, and see how someone could get wedged just trying to set up the second rappel. I remember almost getting stuck doing a cartwheel like move to get to the webbing for the second rappel.
    ratagonia likes this.
  8. Bosco

Bosco

Any more information on this incident?
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

That is a nasty spot.

Tom
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Some clarification, and more questions, but at least now we know it really was in Chambers.

Hi Tom -

Subject: Gear and Rope bag staged at Chambers

Message: On 3/23/19, upon arrival in Robbers Roost I was involved on the initial contact and rescue of a kid wedged in the Chambers narrow section. After the reporting party and I got him food, water and warm clothing, I was making my way back to the trailhead to give a location and situational briefing to the Wayne County Rescue Group. Darkness caught me and I ended up spraining my ankle badly (Grade III) near the Chambers exit. Wrapped it up and loaded ibuprofen and poorly attempted to keep going for another 45 min..before spraining it again. At that point I staged my gear and rope bag in an effort to get to high ground. Expected to spend the night out but a DPS helicopter picked me up around 11pm. Couldn't make it back to my bags over the area's terrain the next day with one leg. Could you throw it out there to anyone in the area that if they find the bags I'd love to get them back (and not leave defacto trash in that amazing area).

Contact info:
    (contact Tom best by email: ratagonia at gmail.com)

Bag details:

Rope Bag: Old blue North Face? climbing bag with 55m of Sterling 9mm rope, harness and belay device
    Gear Bag: Old black Mountain Smith gear bag with harness, belay device, assorted caribiners, webbing and rope anchors, small pulleys and chalks, etc.

Thanks for the consideration!
    Ram likes this.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

Added:
    Definitely Chambers. Group of three started out at 2pm in shorts and sneakers...got stuck around 4pm. Friend got to us at the trailhead around 6:30pm. Big kid (heard 6’6 225lbs) that got tired above the narrow end and slipped downward...got stuck at the pelvis.

SAR had their hands full...didn’t exit the area until 5am.
    Ram likes this.
  12. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Public service announcement:

Wayne county SAR May have used dish soap as a lubricant to extricate the stuck individual. I would expect the canyon to be sparkly clean, but sticky for a while...
    Ram likes this.
  13. CowCoy

CowCoy

We completed Chambers on Friday, March 29th. We had heard about the rescue and were most likely the next group through since we came across an entire bottle of Dawn dish soap! (and 3 bolts, possibly SAR rescue equipment bolts?)

We came across the 2 packs sitting on the slick rock approximately halfway back up to the rim. (Directly below and west of one of the domes) We left them in place, not knowing if someone was expecting them to be there.

Later we figured they must have been from the rescue, possibly left behind in the darkness.

Chambers was great (and challenging!). I am 6'0" and 183 lbs and there were 3-4 spots that I had to reverse and reevaluate. The up climb was probably the most challenging spot for us.

Hope the packs get back to the owner!
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

Well... hopefully the next party in the area will grab that stuff. Here is the post from the guy who staged it there after spraining his ankle, bringing some warm clothing to the trapped person:

"...before spraining it again. At that point I staged my gear and rope bag in an effort to get to high ground. Expected to spend the night out but a DPS helicopter picked me up around 11pm. Couldn't make it back to my bags over the area's terrain the next day with one leg. Could you throw it out there to anyone in the area that if they find the bags I'd love to get them back (and not leave defacto trash in that amazing area)."

Tom
  15. Albula Vulpes

Albula Vulpes

Tom, we picked up the packs and emailed you so you can help us get them back to the owner. BTW, I'm 5'10" and a wiry 145#, I went low at the end anyone bigger than that better plan on being able to chimney up up and over (and not slipping).
  16. Bogie

Bogie

How much does a helicopter ride cost these days?
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

Your tax dollars at work. Unless it is a medical helicopter, in which case you really want to have medical insurance for that...

Tom
  18. garthkevin1

garthkevin1

Heliops here,
    I work for the tax payers, our twin engine helo cost 10k for a 30 min rescue. Medical helo 20k plus.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    Sandstone Addiction likes this.
  19. ratagonia

ratagonia

Tom:

Just received my gear and bags from Art. Might throw it out to the community about how grateful I am (had some emotional ties to that old blue bag) and how excellent our members are.

Thanks for your help in this.

By the way the ankle is fairly healed up...looking at a trip in late June so it all worked out.

Tim Mallon
    YoungBuck likes this.