Send us a suggestion!

Rescue in Birch Hollow Canyon, August 26 2017

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by hank moon, Aug 28, 2017.

1. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Update:

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...t-canyon-now-hes-climbing-again/#.Wnyh9lllA0N

Excerpt:

ST. GEORGE — It was Aug. 26, 2017, when Brig Murdock hooked himself to the rope as he prepared to rappel down a 100-foot cliff into a Southern Utah slot canyon. It was a procedure Murdock had carried out countless times, but on this particular day, as he leaned back, all of a sudden the walls of the canyon were rushing up on either side of him.

“I couldn’t believe what was happening,” Murdock said. “As I realized I was falling, I thought, ‘This isn’t going to be good.’”

As he plummeted, Murdock said he looked down to see where he was going to land. But there was no stopping the inevitable. After falling about 100 feet, Murdock hit the bottom of the canyon.

“For a couple seconds, I didn’t know if I was going to make it,” Murdock said. “But a couple of seconds later, I felt myself breathing, and I could hear the people in my group screaming."
    Ram and Kuenn like this.
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

Great story! Thanks for the followup, Hank.

He's a member of an elite group. Not many have taken a fall like that and experienced complete recovery. He should get a handful of that mud and save it for posterity.
    Ram and Rapterman like this.
  3. Rapterman

Rapterman

The Nine Lives Club! :eek:

....hey, I'm a member....
    Ram and hank moon like this.