Send us a suggestion!

Request for Information on Parunuweap Canyon, Utah

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Christopher Jain, Aug 27, 2001.

1. I have been eyeing Parunuweap Canyon in my copy of Kelsey's Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau for years now and was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions on this canyon. For example, are there any private property issues between Zion NP and Mt. Carmel Junction?

Also, does anyone know what the Stevens Wash/Gifford Canyon trail is like for existing the canyon? How wet/dry is the canyon this year?

Any information/suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Messenger.

2. Shane B.

Shane B. Guest

If you do Purunaweap (The Barracks) you must exit the canyon at the Zion NP boundary. The canyon is closed below this point. Purunaweap is a fantastic canyon. I have always entered using Misery Canyon and than done my exploring up and down canyon.

For the exit route, some pictures of Purunaweap and other useful info including the GPS coords for the exit route see http://climbutah3.homestead.com/Misery.html. The exit requires very good route finding skills or a GPS.

Shane Burrows Climb Utah - Canyoneering & Mountaineering http://climbutah.homestead.com

----- Original Message ----- From: Christopher Jain cjain1000@yahoo.com> To: <Yahoo Canyons Group> Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 3:30 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Request for Information on Parunuweap Canyon, Utah

I have been eyeing Parunuweap Canyon in my copy of Kelsey's Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau for years now and was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions on this canyon. For example, are there any private property issues between Zion NP and Mt. Carmel Junction?
    Also, does anyone know what the Stevens Wash/Gifford Canyon trail is like for existing the canyon? How wet/dry is the canyon this year?
    Thanks,
    Chris

> > Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Messenger.

Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association > http://www.canyoneering.net
    > Getting too much email from the Canyons Group? > Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages.
    > Your use of Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    >
  3. Jud Eades

Jud Eades Guest

A great place to enter Parunumweap is just above the Barracks. Then head downstream to the park boundary. The canyon is closed after you reach the park boundary. But I have heard (hint, hint) that their is an impressive waterfall about 1/4 mile after the park boundary. (Of course I and most of the people that have done this canyon have never seen it because we all obey all the rules) The canyon is closed because of big horn sheep and Indian ruins. I would definitely recommend a side trip of about 30 minutes up Misery Canyon. And if you feel competent doing a technical canyon one of my favorites is Misery Canyon from the top, after reaching Parunuweap you can explore downstream to the park boundary and upstream as far as you desire.

-----Original Message----- From: Christopher Jain [mailto:cjain1000@yahoo.com] Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 3:31 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Request for Information on Parunuweap Canyon, Utah

I have been eyeing Parunuweap Canyon in my copy of Kelsey's Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau for years now and was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions on this canyon. For example, are there any private property issues between Zion NP and Mt. Carmel Junction?

Thanks,

Chris

Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Messenger.

Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association http://www.canyoneering.net

Getting too much email from the Canyons Group? Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Your use of Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
  4. You do cross private property for the first five miles or so on the route in from Mt Carmel Junction. At the time we did it, they requested that you stay on the road and not chase the cows, etc. We went through in mid-June and the sandflies were fierce. Take long pants for sure - the zip off type works well. A light weight long sleeve shirt is nice.

We started way too late - about 2pm. Miserable hot slog to reach water and cool canyon. Start early. Leave at least two full days, we did it in a day and a half and felt rushed, although we did sidetrip up Misery and hike down to the falls. Pay attention so that you can dump your pack at the exit before heading down to the falls.

It's a beautiful canyon.

Gordon

--- In canyons@y..., Christopher Jain <cjain1000@y...> wrote:
    > I have been eyeing Parunuweap Canyon in my copy of Kelsey's Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau for years now and was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions on this canyon. For example, are there any private property issues between Zion NP and Mt. Carmel Junction?
    Thanks,
    Chris

> > Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Messenger.