Send us a suggestion!

Reqesting tips (Colorado/Arizona)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimmy Olsson, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

Hi there!

I'm going to the US for a honeymoon with my wife in September-October.
    We're planning to drive trough Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Colorado, then head back to Los Angeles.
    We would really like to go canyoneering during our roadtrip.

I'm looking for some good canyoneering companies/tours in Colorado (or Arizona) and hope you could help me out.
    We are looking for intermediate tours, and of course we would like to get as much out of the tours as possible. So I would love to get some tips about the very best canyons/tours that we should not miss! We both prioritize senic canyons before "jumping 'n' playing in water". :)

All the best!
    /Jimmy, Sweden.
  2. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot

Bshapiro, ScottM and Jimmy Olsson like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Jimmy Olsson likes this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I have one question. If you want to go canyoneering, then why are you skipping Utah?

Also New Mexico is very nice, but overall Utah is somewhat similar scenery wise, but still more spectacular.

Scenery wise, most of Texas is flat and very boring, but there are a couple of nice parks in the far west (Big Bend and Guadalupe).
  5. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

^^^Especially since Sep/Oct is prime Utah canyon season, certainly better than CO which will be rather chilly.
    Jimmy Olsson likes this.
  6. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

I see why you're asking. I would love to go canyoning in Utah, in fact we're going back to LA trough Utah. The thing is that we have both been traveling around in Utah before, also done some canyoning. So, we would really like to focus on new places this time, like Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.

But ofc we're flexible. If there's no canyons/tours worth doing in those places we rather go to Utah. No doubt. :)
  7. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I you do go to New Mexico, check out Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It's relatively close to Guadalupe Mts Park in Texas, which is also supposed to be nice. You can do extra tours beyond the standard tourist route, but even the standard walk through the cave is very worthwhile.

Camping & lodging near the caves as a bit sketchy, though... might need to do some homework to figure out the best place to stay. We figured it out when we went and it was well worth it.