Send us a suggestion!

UT: Robber's Roost Red Spur (Moqui Fork)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by peakbaggers, May 21, 2014.

1. peakbaggers

peakbaggers "Beaten paths are for beaten men."

Trip Date: May 17, 2014; Location: High Spur area of Robbers Roost; Participants: Peakbaggers - Climbing Cooney's Tim & Carrie and SpiderZak - Julie; Overall conditions: Frequent water, one brief swim, most places were only ankle/knee deep, mud.
    I did not find any trip reports or beta on this canyon in the Collective so thought it might be useful to post a report. We drove in and camped Friday evening about 4 miles further down the Hans Flat road from Granary Spring. Saturday morning, we drove on to Hans Flat and stopped at the ranger station to gather information on conditions. The ranger indicated that the previous weekend it had rained substantially and the canyons had "flowed."
    We drove on north on the High Spur road. This road is not for 2wd, especially the first few miles. Higher clearance is a big help. At 9:40 AM, we were parked at the "trailhead." The old road can be identified easily by noting the deadwood placed by the park to prevent people from trying to drive on it. The sizable pinyon tree mentioned by Climb-Utah is actually a juniper.
    Took well over an hour to get to the beginning of the canyon. The desert was in bloom and many colorful flowers distracted us. At first, the canyon is shallow and open and the "narrows" are brief and not very deep. We came to the 35 ft. "hook" rappel and used our hook to set up. Water in the shallow potholes prevented us from creating a setup like that described on Climb-Utah to help retrieve the hook. Once down, we finally got it back after about 5 minutes effort. Having some extra rope to "flip" vertically so as to create a wave finally dislodged the hook. Happily, we continued down canyon, encountering more narrows, downclimbs, etc., but the canyon remained fairly shallow overall. Several opportunities presented themselves for some nice photos.
    At about 4:00 PM, we arrived at a broad section of the canyon where it was possible to escape. Just ahead was the final rappel and section of short narrows. There was no rigging/anchor left here and we debated whether or not to do this last section. Motivated to complete the entire technical canyon section, we went ahead and built a new deadman about 15 feet back and behind two shallow potholes with water.
    Once down the rappel, we found this last short section to be the best of the canyon and it included the canyon wall with the small hole that you can peer through. The last two potholes presented a nice problem to descend & navigate, since they were both quite full. We used a meat anchor to get two party members down and then I used a pack anchor with an assist from the other two partners below to exit. This last section of narrows was the best part of the day.
    The exit was easy enough - a long trudge back up & out then several miles (4+) back to our vehicle arriving shortly before dark.
    We never used wetsuits. Temps were in the 70's. We did wear Gold's Gym neoprene shorts and had neo jackets for warmth if needed but never put them on. I did get a little cold on the last section.

DSC01379Adj. DSC01383Adj. DSC01385Adj. DSC01386Adj. DSC01390Adj. DSC01401Adj. DSC01408Adj. DSC01412Adj. DSC01419Adj. DSC01424Adj. DSC01428Adj. DSC01429Adj. DSC01433Adj. DSC01451Adj. IMG_1145Adj. IMG_1147Adj. IMG_1155Adj. IMG_1162Adj. IMG_1168Adj. IMG_1175Adj. IMG_1186Adj. IMG_1189Adj.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  2. Jeremy Freeman

Jeremy Freeman Staff Member

Great TR! Quite the muddy mess! I really enjoyed this canyon, it was my first R.

FYI - I tried to add this to the homepage carousel but none of your images are a high enough resolution :(
  3. peakbaggers

About the images: since I'm assuming these are just for screen use, I almost always reduce before posting to 72 dpi. This saves upload time - I have fairly slow connection and helps deter anyone from pirating the image to print. (We are beginning a photographic business & I don't want to be giving away higher quality images for free.) I haven't posted much to here so for future reference, what resolution would be needed for homepage carousel?
  4. Jeremy Freeman

Jeremy Freeman Staff Member

Minimum resolution is 640x428
  5. peakbaggers

Jeremy,
    Thanks for the minimum resolution. I can see I made them all just a bit too small. Will correct on future submissions.
    Jeremy Freeman likes this.
  6. peakbaggers

Some more beta on this canyon: Just remembered that there was one fairly extended section of narrows that we struggled with mainly because our packs were a little too large. This section required packs off and walking sideways.