Send us a suggestion!

Red Rock Canyoneer "3" Test Team Invite

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by namaguides, Dec 23, 2013.

1. namaguides

namaguides

Ram suggested I post this esoteric request with you to possibly expedite acquiring 2 team members who are Men's size 9. You need not be a man though, just fit into a Men's 9 canyoneer "2" and thus possibly the predevelopment Canyoneer "3".

We have been working on this shoe for the last 6 months, and have two new prototype samples arriving in January. With the test team from 5.10, Luke Galyan, and myself we aim to test the prototypes in Red Rock Canyon on January 15-16th, 2014. We plan to do Ice Cube on the 15th, all conditions permitting. The 16th has yet to be determined.

We plan on a full 10-12 hour day on the 15th and an 8 hour day, wrapping up by 4pm on the 16th.

PreRequisites:
    1. MUST fit into a Men's size 9 canyoneer.
    2. Capable, and safe canyoneer/rappeller
    3. Thoughtful gear user who is interested in passing usable feedback directly to the folks who are designing the Canyoneer "3".
    4. Mildly financially independent, :). 5.10 will cover housing at the group rental house and dinner on the 15th. You have to either get to Zion and travel to Las Vegas with me the afternoon of the 14th and return with me the night of the 16th, or get yourself to LV and meet us at the rental.
    5. Interested in cold canyoneering. Ice Cube will require some pools in 37˚F water.
    6. Can not be officially representing or simultaneously testing any shoes for other manufacturers.

So any interested parties, please PM me soon...and of course, Happy Holidays!!!!

All the best,

Jonathan
    ratagonia and Mike like this.
  2. Jenny

Jenny

Jonathan,
    I can easily fit into a Men's size 9! Though, I suspect 6 pairs of socks wouldn't offer me much stability? I'd love to do this. If, per chance, an odd pair shrinks, do put me down as a team member.
    Best, backatcha!
    Jenny
    Erik, ratagonia and carol like this.
  3. carol

carol

I too was thinking along the same lines as Jenny. I might be able to fit both feet into a size nine shoe! Carol
  4. Erik

Erik

I was thinking almost the same thing. Maybe I could go sock-less and squeeze mine into a 9.
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Or just buy some Salewa wildfires....
  6. Rapterman

Rapterman

I can recommend a local podiatrist when you are thru!
  7. Rapterman

Rapterman

Do Salewa Wildfires come in a mid/high top for weak ankle types?
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

No
  9. Rapterman

Rapterman

Bummer. High top hiking boots for narrow/low volume feet are hard enough to come by, and canyon specific boots? Aye yi yi:( ....
    My feet 'swim' in the Canyoneers (no amount of insole or 'shimming' will fix it), and my wife has lost a toenail in her pair. Maybe the 3s will fit like a 'real' boot with all the water luvin' / high friction features?
  10. dweaver2130

dweaver2130 Canyoneering Duo from AZ

The wife and I went with the Sportiva Xplorer and like them. They seem like they would fit a person with a low volume foot better.

As far as your issue with ankle support, what about wearing a brace or taping it up?
  11. gajslk

gajslk

I thought that the Salewas had an anatomical last. That usually means wider rather than narrower. Vasque and Sportiva tend to run narrow ...

Gordon
  12. Rapterman

Rapterman

Thank you all very much for the advice. Have never been able to get taping or braces to work for long days in the canyons (impedes circulation:cold: ). Yes, Vasque and Sportiva offer some hope. My current canyoneering set up is the Vasque Scree Mid (the old version with the 5.10 sole) with a La Sportiva instep shim (they make these for their mountaineering boots but sell them separately on the website- Bo Beck says he uses them also) and some drain holes burned thru the sidewalls. I also carry a couple of old leather tongues liberated from thrashed boots as a brace against the lower outside ankles (classic sprain location). The La Sportiva Xplorer fit pretty well but the tops seem a bit mushy for me for heavy canyon packs. When the laces are cranked really tight they bite the tops of your feet:cry: . Does anyone know if the newer Hyper Mid GTX are any beefier in the tops?
    The best boot for narrow/low volume feet of all time? The La Sportiva Onix XCR Mid:) ! of course they stopped making them years ago:( and I am on my last pair. Anyone who figures out how to locate 1-4 pairs (new) Men's 44 will get serious canyon favors! free rappel device... free rope bag...;)
  13. gajslk

gajslk

14. Rapterman

Rapterman

For sure Gordon, strengthening is always best. Ironically, after so many years of repeated injury (ankle and knee sprains and strains from mountaineering, skiing, rock climbing) Canyoneering has made a big improvement! Perhaps it is the hideous approaches-often in the summer heat, intermixed with dunking in cold pothole soup, swim therapy, etc. Having an incredible NEW sport (for which I have almost no muscle memory) is probably the best therapy of all:wavespin:.
  15. Mojave Silence

Mojave Silence

Thread hi-jacking
    townsend likes this.
  16. gajslk

gajslk

Again. LOL

Just trying help. Narrow-footed, oft-sprained, semi-crippled, high-top shoe addict described me to a T. My feet and ankles weren't nearly strong enough to wear the Canyoneers. I kept going to more and more shoe and the problem kept getting worse and worse as my feet and ankles got weaker and weaker.

To get back on topic, why is men's 9US the default beta test shoe size for every or nearly every shoe manufacturer? That can't possibly be average these days. Are they trying to hit the overlap point between big footed women and small footed men? Don't get me wrong, I like big-footed women, :D but I'm of average height with smallish hands and feet and I could no more wear a size 9 than I could fly. Well, I could get them on my feet, but if I tried to walk all day in a pair I'd soon be in agony. Like the time I walked off Epinephrine barefoot because my climbing shoes were too small for such a long route. That took a while ...

Gordon
  17. namaguides

namaguides

Jenny,
    It would be great to have you there no matter!

Z
    Jenny likes this.