Send us a suggestion!

UT: Escalante Red Breaks & Great West Fork (Elbow Canyon) 4/29/17

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by 2065toyota, May 2, 2017.

1. 2065toyota

2065toyota

P4290058.JPG P4290061.JPG P4290073.JPG P4290075.JPG P4290083.JPG P4290093.JPG P4290096.JPG P4290106.JPG P4290115.JPG P4290122.JPG P4290131.JPG

Doing the combo makes it a full day, but just as well as they are very near each other. We took 2 ropes, 1 @ 40' with a pullcord and a 90'.

A few pretty tight sections, little bit of stemming, lots of downclimbing and tons of scenic curvy walls. Definitely recommend to anyone wanting a good semi technical canyoneering adventure.

We started from the end of the Sheffield road at the Drill Hole site. Headed East, crossed over the Great West Fork and descended down Red Breaks. Exited Right side up canyon looped back up and around, crossed through Red Breaks at the start of the technical section, back over to GWF to descend. Exited from the end of the technical section Left up canyon and back to the vehicles. I think we were about 8 or 9 hours car to car without hurrying too fast.
    Rapterman, Bill, Mountaineer and 3 others like this.
  2. VillainousTurtle

VillainousTurtle

This might be a big request but if you could make a basic route map of how you ran both these canyons, or link to one that would be much appreciated. Great pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. hiac

hiac

in 1st picture, the guy slide then jump on the ground? it seems pretty high.
    Edit: after see rest of picture, I feel 1st picture is piece of cake. you guy have big heart. I wonder what kind of shoe you guys wear. Must have a good traction?
  4. 2065toyota

2065toyota

This is the approximate route. We stashed some gear, food and water when crossing the 'Red Breaks' pin canyon on the map to have for the second of the canyons and route

red breaks2.
    VillainousTurtle and Rapterman like this.
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Partner assisted down anything. No jumping allowed
    Rapterman likes this.
  6. peakbaggers

peakbaggers "Beaten paths are for beaten men."

My wife & I did this over Memorial Day Weekend. We used Ryan's beta and followed his suggested route across the west fork, down the middle and back up the west. Took us about 7 hours. High on scenic value. Plenty of low stemming, etc. Entertaining upclimbs in the west fork. More report on Ryan's site. https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/escalante/red-breaks
    Rapterman likes this.
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Not sure why my map isn't showing up anymore. I will upload it again when I get home
  8. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

I'm seeing it just fine.
  9. hiac

hiac

is it guided tour, or just friends and family gathering?
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Friends and family.
    Rapterman likes this.
  11. Angus

Angus Angus Wiessner

The name of Elbow is Booger (Aka the Shredder) cool slot but really short and a ways out there only worth it if you combo it along with Red Breaks.

It has prob been about six or seven years since i did these two slots.

Thanks for Sharing brought back old memories!
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  12. stefan

stefan wandering utahn

great photos! pretty fun canyons.

"great west fork" is actually called "big west fork" by mike kelsey (and subsequently ryan cornia). (similar name as 'great west canyon' in zion)

around 1990 bill wolverton gave this canyon the name "secret passage" as a play on the canyon name "hidden passage" due to its obscured entrance at the mouth.

also, fwiw, kelsey refers to the "technical section" in your description of red breaks canyon as "upper west fork" of red breaks.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Ram likes this.