Send us a suggestion!

Recommendations for a long distance (100 mile) canyon and slot solo expedition?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adventure Muffin, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Adventure Muffin

Adventure Muffin Adventure Muffin

Hi
    Somewhat newbie canyoneer (from Portland Oregon) but confirmed long distance hiker (just completed a 330 mile trek in Nepal's eastern region), looking for advice on a good canyon and slot hike one can do solo between June 21st and July 6th? Have maps for the Escalante Grand Staircase, but am open to ideas anywhere non technical slots and canyons would create a 100 mile or so loop. Also looking for hiking buddy for such a trip.
    Your thoughts and recommendations much appreciated.
    David
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Link up a few of these routes?

Canyoneering 3: Loop Hikes in Utah’s Escalante
    by Steve Allen
    Link: http://a.co/8um9GwR

518sJdAtEwL.

p.s. TBT !

Capture.JPG
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    John Styrnol likes this.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

good canyon and slot hike one can do solo between June 21st and July 6th?

Although there are several canyons you can do in summer, summer isn't a good time to do a long hike linking canyons. Wait until October for such hikes.

The longest hike I'd probably consider at that time of year (late June/early July) that involves slot canyons is Death Hollow, which typically takes 4 or more days.

If you do wait, I'd highly recommend starting at Moki Canyon and heading for Cedar Cedar Canyon, exploring the slots along the way. You could easily hike 100 miles in the Navajo Mountain area as well and that area is laced with slot canyons.

You are however, going at the wrong time of year for long desert hikes.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

What he said.

The Uintas!!!

:moses:
    hlscowboy and John Styrnol like this.
  5. wilwat

wilwat

I'd recommend Buckskin Gulch and then Paria Canyon. That will give you a few days to stretch your legs and see some nice scenery. Not very technical (one spot in Buckskin requires a handline), but you will need to secure permits.
  6. Adventure Muffin

Thank you Scott. Much appreciated advice!
  7. Adventure Muffin

Thank you Hank, just ordered the book! Much appreciated advice!
  8. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I'd recommend Buckskin Gulch and then Paria Canyon. That will give you a few days to stretch your legs and see some nice scenery

Once you are out of the slot of Buckskin, it will be a fiery heat suffer fest. I have also heard that the Paria River isn't even flowing above the confluence.

Here is the weather data for Lees Ferry, at the terminus of the hike:

[​IMG]
    While it is true that the the average July is "only" 103°, temperatures regular soar to 110° and have even reached 119° . Even 103° is really hot walking in the sun all day with a pack.
  9. Adventure Muffin

Interesting idea, but I hear the season starts in Mid July. With this year's 125+ snow base, wondering if it might still be snow pack in them thar hills.
    David
  10. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Interesting idea, but I hear the season starts in Mid July. With this year's 125+ snow base, wondering if it might still be snow pack in them thar hills.

Yes, the Uintas are still buried in snow right now and will be until mid July or so.

Why not do 1-4 day day trips or backpacking trips in places like Death Hollow (4 days) or Boulder Creek (2 days)? Orderville or Subway (hard to get permits at times) are good if you go with someone that has basic rope skills. The Zion Narrows are good. The Ashdown Gorge might be good if the snow is gone.

Sedona has plenty of watery canyons.

Even Dark Canyon wouldn't be too bad if you can avoid climbing the Sundance Trail once it gets warm.

There are plenty of good canyon hikes in late June and early July, just no really long cross country 100 mile
    desert hikes.
    John Styrnol likes this.
  11. hlscowboy

hlscowboy

Only patches of snow on top of Cedar Breaks. The water level coming out of Ashdown/Coal Creek have lowered to near normal. It would certainly be open, though it is likely only a day trip for Mr. Muffin.
  12. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I'd recommend at least two days since one of the best parts of the hike is the side trip into the Cedar Breaks Amphitheater from the bottom.
    hlscowboy likes this.
  13. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Do the escalante grand staircase piece of the Hayduke trail.
  14. hlscowboy

hlscowboy

Reports from this last week say Gunsight pass is snowed in and impassable even with snowshoes and ice ax. There are some trails open. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/1785572335087595/.