Send us a suggestion!

Recommend a basic rappelling rope for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by chconnor, Jun 6, 2018.

1. chconnor

chconnor

Hi -- I'm a beginner starting out with some rappelling and need to get some rope so I can start practicing and building up my skills.

I'm not actually going to be canyoneering or caving but (eventually) rappelling down steep ravines in the woods: anchoring to trees, rappelling down, ascending back up. (Hopefully it's OK to post this here anyway... please remove if not...) Descent device is an SMC Micro u-rack.

Based on research and goals, I was thinking to get a basic ~10mm, non-dry, static or semi-static rope, not too stiff or slippery. If it's relatively light that's great, but not crucial.

I have some PMI Sport Max-Wear 11mm. It's very stiff and I'm hoping for something significantly more knottable. I was suspecting that a canyoneering rope is not really what I want, so I shied away from the Imlay and Bluewater stuff, which I've heard are pretty stiff.

I find the Mammut 10 Performance, the Edelweiss Speleo II 10mm... any other obvious brands that I'm missing? Can I assume they'll be more pliable than the PMI I have?

Thanks!

P.S. I don't want to keep pestering this forum if it's inappropriate to ask not-precisely-canyoneering questions here... it just seemed like there's enough overlap to make it relevant.
  2. Sutitan

Sutitan

Ever take a look at Sterling? my favorite rope I own is their C-IV for its smoothness and knotability. it is one of my oldest ropes which might help its case, but I feel like it was always great even from the get-go. I picked up their 9mm HTP since I needed a cheap replacement and its much stiffer and knots somewhat poorly.

I dont think alot of people here deal with 10/11mm ropes. Have you taken a look to see what arborists use?
  3. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

PMI also makes EZ-Bend; you might sell the Max-Wear and get an EZ. Bluewater II+ or New England KMIII are other good choices for a basic (flexible) rappelling rope.
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. chconnor

chconnor

@Sutitan -- thanks for the thoughts; the Sterling stuff looks nice but the C-IV is maybe a little out of my price bracket (at least what I saw in a few minutes of searching around). I've delved a little into the arborist world (I live a few blocks away from Wesspur, which is great!), but the caving/canyoneering/climbing worlds seem a little more aligned with my needs. (Wesspur has harnesses that seem more fit to be horse saddles. :) )

@hank moon -- Thanks, yeah I saw that PMI EZ-Bend, I'll consider it. I've read that the Bluewaters are on the stiff side -- not your experience?
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

BW canyon ropes, the Dyneema ones, can become quite stiff. My experience is that BW II + stays quite supple over time.
  6. chconnor

chconnor

Ah gotcha. I have learned to stop interpreting all the stuff I read about ropes as necessarily having anything to do with static ropes, as obviously people are usually talking dynamic...
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

For the price, the Imlay Canyon Gear 9.2 canyonero is a good value. The down side is that it handles like piece of steel cable.

I also think the 9mm Sterling HTP is a great rope for the price. It is much better handling and runs more smoothly through devices, though likely not as durable. But that isn't to say its a wimpy rope either.

Here. 200' of white for $147.

https://sterlingrope.com/store/climb/ropes/canyon-ropes/9-mm-htp-canyon
    Kuenn likes this.
  8. chconnor

chconnor

Thanks Bootboy -- that aligns well with what I was able to dig up online.
  9. Kuenn

Kuenn

My 2 cents...

I think it really comes down to what you are most comfortable with and what fits your needs. I have used the Sterling, PMI (maxi-wear and EZ), C-IV, several BW products, as well as the Imlay Canyonero 9.2.

Personal preference is a rope that can be ascended easily...a habit that's hard to brake. For that reason I'm reaching for the rope that offers the best of both directions - PMI or Imlay (Canyonero 9.2 is a goody).

In my circles a rope that "handles like steel cable" is a HIGH compliment. YMMV
  10. chconnor

chconnor

Yeah I settled on an Edelweiss Speleo II 10mm (mainly because I had a line on a great deal). I don't think I'll mind the semi-stretch, and I wanted to err on the side of safe/thick/durable. Thanks for the input!
  11. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

12. chconnor

chconnor

Nice, good to know.
  13. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

It’s also got about 4% stretch on it so not very static, and the sheath doesn’t seem to be very durable. I saw it core shot on it’s very first use.
  14. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

Whaat? Really? You should reclaim that rope.
  15. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Wasn't mine, but I think the guy did send it back.
    Jimmy Olsson likes this.
  16. pyle762

pyle762

I got a really good deal on a spool of Petzl Push, which is why I bought it. I cut it in half to have 2 long ropes for big drops. I did Insomnia on Wednesday this week and holy cow, that thing had a ton of stretch in it. They advertise it as semi-static and my buddies and I joked that it was more semi than static. It was really hard to rappel without bouncing a lot on it because of the stretch in it. Plus it absorbs water, so a 12.5 pound rope turned into a 15+ pound rope after the first pothole.

Let I said earlier I got a smoking deal on it but I would not recommend it.

As always, you can't go wrong with an Imlay.
    ratagonia, Kenmoto and Jimmy Olsson like this.
  17. Kuenn

Kuenn

These two posts have a dubious common denominator. "Price" Almost the least important reason for buying a specific rope.

"What is the lowest?", you might ask. "That pretty chartreuse green one with red tracers...."
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Return the rope, I assume you mean?

Why? The rope is not defective. Coreshooting a rope is either due to user error or to choosing an inappropriate rope for the activity. This rope has a 32-carrier sheath which means the sheath is not particularly thick, which has tended to be a problem for canyoneering in places other than Europe. You would do better to purchase a rope that is 16-carrier (ie, 1 over 1 or 8x8) or that uses especially cut-resistant fibers for the sheath (ie, technora).

Tom
  19. ratagonia

ratagonia