Send us a suggestion!

Raps in Gruver Slot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backcountry, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:10 AM.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry

I plan to lead a group through Gruver Slot Saturday morning (Nov 7, 2019). None of us have done this canyon before and there is little beta out there. Roadtrip Ryan says there are two short raps of 20-30 feet. At least one of them is difficult to set up because the canyon is so narrow at the anchor. I wonder if these are mandatory raps or if they can be handled by good climbing and a couple daisy chains. This group often finds we do fewer raps than indicated by the beta because we downclimb many of these and we enjoy slides, captures, and other creative techniques to descend short drops. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has done Gruver slot.
  2. Caleb Barksdale

Caleb Barksdale

The first rap could likely be downclimbed. It can definitely be handlined. The second rap is mandatory. Also, the rappels are right on top of each other and could be combined, but the pull would be awful. The canyon at the second rap anchor is pretty tight. When my group did it, we were able to uncomfortably fit three people.
    ratagonia likes this.
  3. Backcountry

Backcountry

Good to know. I didn't want to haul a rope & harness through that narrow of a canyon if it isn't necessary but it sounds like I better be prepared.
  4. Caleb Barksdale

Caleb Barksdale

You could *probably* exit left before the rappels if you wanted to. You wouldn't miss much canyon by doing so. You could also *probably* just upclimb the canyon from the rappel. However, I have not tried either of these options and do not know if they work.