Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Superstitions Punchbowl 2-11-17

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Ram

Ram

February is Death Valley time. A break from the cold hard winter....except when it isn't. And when it isn't, it is often Arizona. Doc Science moved to Tucson. Wants folks to come down and do canyons. Just the excuse needed. Send out word to the local experts and trick them into taking care of me. Then Doc drops out with work concerns. His inspiration made the trip happen. He just happened not to make the trip

Rich Rudow is available for 1 day. He wants to do Punchbowl, but he wants to access via his sea-do. Saves 1,600 feet down, then the same up, at days end, not to mention its 6 miles road walking, those ups and downs entail. Can only take a few on his machine. Who am I to say no to such a proposition? Todd Martin and Jenny West on the back and off they go. How did I end up with such illustrious company? Twenty minutes later, Rich comes for me. My first ride on such a machine. Rich seems more than happy to show me that the thing can do 60 MPH easily. He said he has had it up to 70+! My eyes water, exposed to the wind and force. I hang on for dear life imagining how far and fast I would skip over the water at that speed, IF I should fall off. Visions of long convalescences, wrapped in plaster, fill my cowardly mind. I hang on. Breath. Survive.

We arrive at a sign. A sign that signifies that in spite of Homeland Security concerns near ALL US dams, the Coalition of American Canyoneers worked endless hours, establishing legal access for our community. Thanks guys. YOU thank them too. Thank them by joining. http://www.americancanyoneers.org/

The hike up the hill is pure Arizona. Todd and Rich claim it is easy. Easy to bleed all over that is. And some of us do. Diabolical ledges turn unlikely corners and we are in. Half an hour of strolling leads to suit up spots. Then lots of raps, climbs and swims. Hour upon hour of it in this fine canyon. Then the sea-do ride back. Rich takes it easy on me. Only 50 MPH this time. He is off. Todd, Jenny and I head over the hill to join Wes, that eve, poising for more canyon fun.
    Ram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A major CAC victory
    [​IMG]

Bleeding on Arizona
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Serious
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what colour Todd's eyes are? Didn't think so
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rap into the real world
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Bill, ratagonia, Jenny and 12 others like this.
  2. Todd Martin

Todd Martin

3. Jay Wisocki

Jay Wisocki Owner at Wilderness First Recovery LLC

Great photos guys. I need to get a camera like this one. We ran Punchbowl by Kayaks a few years ago, camped on the beach and ran it the following day. Great scenery thru there for sure. Nice to see you guys again.
    Ram likes this.
  4. Rich Rudow

Rich Rudow

Well, it's only taken me a month to contribute to this thread ;) It's been a long time since this band was together. A great day with great friends.

Attached Files: