Send us a suggestion!

Pumped Storage Project Near Page, AZ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zul, Feb 3, 2020.

1. zul

zul

An update from wild, beautiful and sacred places:

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2020/01/22/2-gw-pumped-storage-project-proposed-on-navajo-nation-lands/

No more smoke coming out of the NGS Coal Plant as of December, 2019.
    Electric wires strung across Arizona carrying no electricity.
    Use solar power to pump water up top of Cummings Mesa and create another devastating Reservoir!
    Use those empty electric lines, a bargain for the developer.
    The other article I read stated that if everything goes ahead, construction would not begin until 2030.
    This article shows the proposed location.

Devastating.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Such a shame there are not other electric generating facilities near Page.

[/sarcasm]
  3. John Diener

John Diener

NGS sits at ~4300' whereas Cummings is almost 5000'. Way more bang-for-buck per storage volume. But indeed, that location is absolutely devastating. :(
    -john
    Tom Collins likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Hmm. 700 feet. About the same as the Glen Canyon Dam.

You know they could just take water from the below the dam, and pump it back into Lake Powell. Except for the pumps, all the other infrastructure is in place already...

Tom
    mattwilliams likes this.
  5. John Diener

John Diener

My assumption, since that wasn't proposed is that it isn't feasible for some reason (too much change in water flows, 700' vs. 1300', or ?). But perhaps you are right and the issues are not technical...
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

It might be that the proposal is looking for an energy project on Navajo land, to replace the coal plant. The article mentions that the Energy Department might lend them a billion dollars if the project is on Navajo land. I notice they named the project "Navajo", though the project is proposed by a Bilagáana company.

Zul said:
    Electric wires strung across Arizona carrying no electricity.
    Use those empty electric lines, a bargain for the developer.

What set ME off was these statements, which I see are nowhere in the article. Nope. The lines are not empty. They have more capacity available, but that is not the same as empty infrastructure. AND, the lines are quite far from the project site on Cummings Mesa, in Utah.

It is just a proposal. Seems very unlikely for several different reasons.

There are many places on the Navajo Res that might be good for Solar farms, including some next to the empty power lines...

Tom
  7. zul

zul

The coal plant isn't operating, where is the power in those lines coming from?
    The dam is on a separate set of power lines, I am told.
    Do those separate lines join someplace? If so, I wonder where?

Cummings Mesa to the NGS, maybe 35-40 miles ... is that a long ways?
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes. In that terrain, it is quite a long ways. But mostly, it fucks up some incredible land.

You are told by the Russian spies that the lines are independent? I find that hard to believe - they both lock into the grid. The reason to have the coal plant in Page is to take advantage of the in situ infrastructure... unless you have solid, better information.

Tom
    Bootboy likes this.
  9. zul

zul

My initial information comes from a man who worked inside of Glen Dam for two decades. Near retirement, he began leading tours of the Dam for the Glen Canyon Dam National Recreation Area. I am not sure if he was the dam operator or the person who mopped the floors. Either way, he was a pro-dam enthusiast and lived in Page, AZ for many years. Expert or janitor? I'm not sure. I thought his info to be credible if you are a pro-dam sort of person. I am not a pro-dam person but I do enjoy Reservoir Foul. It is a sole ripping decision regarding a complex place.

I asked the man about NGS power lines and Glen Hydro power lines: Same lines? Or two separate lines??
    He hung his head low and said, "Unfortunately, there are two separate lines for two separate power sources." That was my understanding and I had no reason to doubt a local of two decades. Even if he was just a janitor and slack jaw tour guide.

So today, I spent time on Google Earth to trace the power lines that I drive under every week. From NGS, they head away from the dam. They head south toward the town of Lechee ... past Coopermine Chaper, accross the Rainbow Plateau, mucking up some pretty awesome desert landscape. Then, it's off toward the Gap, AZ. Finally, these empty power lines cross the popular hwy AZ 89A headed toward Cameron, AZ. This is the point where the two separate power lines meet. Near Cameron, AZ ... 76 miles away from defunct and powerless NGS.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thank you.

Not exactly a reliable source. But sounds pretty good. Likely. Thanks for this research.

Tom