Send us a suggestion!

"Pull cord" used for toggles?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by hank moon, Sep 5, 2017.

  1. hank moon

    hank moon lovely ligatures

    A cord used for pulling a rope through an anchor is called a "pull cord." What about a cord used for toggles? Toggle cord? Release cord?

    A nomenclature update might be useful to avoid having the "what are you using the cord for - pulling a rope or pulling/releasing a toggle?" discussion ad infinitum.

    Toggle = Fiddlestick / Smooth Operator / etc.
  2. Yellow Dart

    Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

    La Verkin
    Since buying the 300' dyneema cord from @ratagonia some months ago, as well as a spool of his 6mm pull rope, and having about 1000' of other various 3-5mm cords in the arsenal, my group has come to calling them as such:

    -The dyneema cord and it's corresponding bag are the "fiddle-cord"

    -The 6mm poly cord is strong enough to rap on in a pinch; so while we bring it as a good, static pull, we know it can be used if necessary, so it's the "pull-rope" or "oopsie-cord"

    - The other, stretchier ones are just pull cords. So stretchy we've all but stopped using them, because of their dastardly properties
    hank moon, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  3. Craig

    Craig Feeling My Way

    I call my 3mm dyneema fiddlestick pullcord a "bow string".
Similar Threads: Pull cord
Forum Title Date
Buy and Sell Cosmetic Second Pull Cord Bag Nov 10, 2016
General Discussion knot peg anchor pull cord options... Jul 29, 2016
General Discussion Retrievable anchor with 1 rope ( no pull cord ) Jul 26, 2015
Tech Tips and Gear Pull Cords Nov 20, 2014
Tech Tips and Gear Imlay pullcord: Two thumbs up Mar 27, 2014
Tech Tips and Gear Pull cord…cord vs 8mm Static Rope Nov 24, 2013