Send us a suggestion!

"Pull cord" used for toggles?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by hank moon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

A cord used for pulling a rope through an anchor is called a "pull cord." What about a cord used for toggles? Toggle cord? Release cord?

A nomenclature update might be useful to avoid having the "what are you using the pull cord for - pulling a rope or pulling/releasing a toggle?" discussion ad infinitum.

Toggle = Fiddlestick / Smooth Operator / etc.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Since buying the 300' dyneema cord from @ratagonia some months ago, as well as a spool of his 6mm pull rope, and having about 1000' of other various 3-5mm cords in the arsenal, my group has come to calling them as such:

-The dyneema cord and it's corresponding bag are the "fiddle-cord"
    http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.co...el-1-8-x-300-feet/p/48720000/category=2490784

-The 6mm poly cord is strong enough to rap on in a pinch; so while we bring it as a good, static pull, we know it can be used if necessary, so it's the "pull-rope" or "oopsie-cord"
    http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.co...-Pull-Cord-static/p/10914134/category=2490784

- The other, stretchier ones are just pull cords. So stretchy we've all but stopped using them, because of their dastardly properties
    hank moon, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  3. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

I call my 3mm dyneema fiddlestick pullcord a "bow string".
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

I don't think I've ever done a canyon with someone who calls a fiddlestick a toggle. Is that something being pushed by the manufacturer of the smooth operator?
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Not so far as I’m aware. It’s a good generic term for the tool. It seems to be analogous to Kleenex/tissue brand/generic.

Toggle... I may just adopt that nomenclature....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jared Robertson likes this.