Send us a suggestion!

Pull Cord For 300ft Rope

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Austin Farnworth, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

I have a funny paracord story. The first time I went to climb Epinephrine we were really terrified about hauling a pack up there. We hadn't really done any chimneys anywhere near that length before. So we decided we'd take one camelback and have the leader haul it up with paracord so we didn't have anything on our backs while chimneying. It was a massive failure and we ended up hanging it from the second's harness (like we should have in the first place.) But I was incredibly impressed how stretchy 200 feet of paracord are and just how difficult it really is to pull on it with your hands. I think I eventually cut it up for tent guy lines or something.

The dyneema is MUCH less stretchy, although I usually do have to clove hitch it onto a biner even to pull a fiddlestick at 300 feet.
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Stretchy? Are you nuts?
  3. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

4. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

This is 100ft of 550 paracord for pulling the cables from the W'anchor to empty it. Very smooth, easy pull.
  5. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Josh (Tirrus here on CC) showed me it's easy to manage release cord by coiling it on your hand (thumb to pinky) in ~20ft bundles that you stuff into a chalk bag. With a little practice it's just as fast as stuffing a rope bag, and prevents tangles.
    Steve Woodford likes this.
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

Compared to a static rope? Yes. Compared to paracord? No.
  7. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Yes. Like in this video. It's called a figure eight coil. Timesaving tip: get multiple people on the task - works great when coordinated.

Re: hard pulls with 3 mm Dyneema (e.g. long rope pull-down). A Super Munter (or plain Munter) on an HMS 'biner, tethered to the harness, works well for pull-and-reset cycles. The S-Munter may jam occasionally, but this is mitigated with practice, and it resets easier than a clove hitch. Using a deviated pull to apply tension to the release cord can help provide an advantageous pull angle (i.e. away from the fall line, to reduce potential edge friction at the top) while generating great tension. It only works if the anchor person is prevented from moving toward the deviant when the deviating force is applied. Helpers or natural features can help with this. Of course, simply having others pull with the anchor person can often do the trick, without the deviation.

Note: the anchor person applies force by pulling back on the tether, one hand on the tether for stability, the other holding the free end of the release cord to prevent the S-Munter from slipping. My crappy drawing doesn't convey that.

Anybody have related tips to share ?

Deviated Pull copy.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Rapterman and Ali Miller like this.
  8. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

I always carry a ripe banana to bribe a canyon ape to release the toggle from the top.
    Jake Freimanis likes this.