Send us a suggestion!

Prusik vs. Tibloc

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by rcornia@visto.com, Dec 21, 2000.

1. I've read on Tom's site, and several others, the recommendation to carry tiblocs instead of prusik cords because they are easier to put on a rope and use. I've always used prusik cords, because they are easier on the rope, and that was the method I was taught.

My question, to those of you who carry tiblocs, is do you setup all rappels to be single rope rappel with a retrieval cord? From my understanding you can only use tiblocs on a single rope, is that correct? I can see some benefit to using them; I'm just not sure how people are setting up rappels to be able to use them if they have to reverse a rappel. Or is there some other reason to prefer a tibloc over a prusik cord?

Thanks, Ryan
  2. Rich Carlson

Rich Carlson Guest

Ryan,

I always carry two ascenders with me. One is a Petzl Shunt - unbeatable for versatility and works on two ropes. The other one I carry used to be a Ropeman, but I switched to the Tibloc when it came out - lighter and simpler. Also like it for setting up ratchets on raising systems.

You can rig the rope any way you want for a rappel. If it's a double line and you need to go back up, having a Shunt makes it a no-brainer. If all you are carrying is a single-line ascender (like a Tibloc), tie a figure eight knot on a bight in one end of the rope. Insert a carabiner into this loop, then clip the carabiner to the other strand of rope. Now pull down on one end and let the carabiner ride to the top. You now have a fixed single line for ascending.

Another option is to fix one end of the rope to the ground at the bottom, then ascend the other strand. When the first person reaches the top, they can fix the rope there and the bottom end can be released. This is the method I would use if I had tied two ropes together for a long rappel.

If you rapped on a single line with retrieval cord you can use either the Shunt or the Tibloc.

Rich
  3. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

If Prussicks work for you, then keep using them.

To me, the point really is that people who are rappelling need to know how to get back up the rope. The Tiblocs are a simple and easy to understand tool - that is why I recommend them. Personally, I never carried Prussics (too goofy?) but I do carry Tiblocs.

And what Rich said. There are ways to fix the single strand. I also like the 1/4" size Rapid Links as my rappel ring, just because I can tie a knot in the rope and pull it up to the Rapid Link, and feel good about ascending against it.

Tom

On Thu, 21 December 2000, "Rich Carlson" wrote:

Ryan,
    I always carry two ascenders with me. One is a Petzl Shunt - > unbeatable for versatility and works on two ropes. The other one I > carry used to be a Ropeman, but I switched to the Tibloc when it came > out - lighter and simpler. Also like it for setting up ratchets on > raising systems.
    You can rig the rope any way you want for a rappel. If it's a double > line and you need to go back up, having a Shunt makes it a > no-brainer. If all you are carrying is a single-line ascender (like a > Tibloc), tie a figure eight knot on a bight in one end of the rope. > Insert a carabiner into this loop, then clip the carabiner to the > other strand of rope. Now pull down on one end and let the carabiner > ride to the top. You now have a fixed single line for ascending.
    Another option is to fix one end of the rope to the ground at the > bottom, then ascend the other strand. When the first person reaches > the top, they can fix the rope there and the bottom end can be > released. This is the method I would use if I had tied two ropes > together for a long rappel.
    If you rapped on a single line with retrieval cord you can use either > the Shunt or the Tibloc.
    Rich

> Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association > http://www.canyoneering.net
    > Getting too much email from the Canyons Group? > Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages.
  4. Careful of using a ti-bloc as a chest/belt-ascender. The first time I tried them I damaged a rope badly because a ti-bloc doesn't always "bite" first time round and rips the sheat apart. I think Petzl later specified not using them this way. . . only hand-held.

Koen

----- Original Message ----- From: rcornia@visto.com> To: canyons@egroups.com> Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 8:38 PM Subject: [canyons group] Prusik vs. Tibloc

> I've read on Tom's site, and several others, the > recommendation to carry tiblocs instead of prusik cords because they > are easier to put on a rope and use. I've always used prusik > cords, because they are easier on the rope, and that was the method I > was taught.
    My question, to those of you who carry tiblocs, is do you setup all > rappels to be single rope rappel with a retrieval cord? From my > understanding you can only use tiblocs on a single rope, is that > correct? I can see some benefit to using them; I'm just not sure > how people are setting up rappels to be able to use them if they have > to reverse a rappel. Or is there some other reason to prefer a tibloc > over a prusik cord?
    Thanks, > Ryan

> Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association > http://www.canyoneering.net
    > Getting too much email from the Canyons Group? > Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages.
    >
  5. Macca

Macca Guest

I own a couple of tiblocs and find the invaluable for rigging autoblocks in hauling systems. For SRT work I played with them a bit and then went back to Prussiks. Don't like the way you have to 'set' tiblocs to avoid a nasty catch on the rope sheath, find them fiddly with gloves on and $$ if drop them.

Agree with all Re. Shunt and carry one of these always. No brainer to use. For 'real' ascenders in IRA work use jugs or Pezl Basic.

Can't keep pants up or tie stuff together with tibloc either!

Cheers,

Macca