Send us a suggestion!

Proposed change in management: Paria Canyon–Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hank moon, May 8, 2019.

1. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front...2344/209509/Final_Scoping_Letter_5-8-2019.pdf

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front...=renderDefaultProjectSummary&projectId=122125

Project Description:
    The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Arizona Strip Field Office is encouraging public comments on a proposed change in management and other related actions concerning the Paria Canyon–Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, located east of Kanab, Utah and west of Page, Arizona. A 45-day public comment period will run from May 8 to June 21, 2019. The proposed change would increase recreational opportunities and visitor access while preserving wilderness values, as directed in Secretarial Orders 3347 and 3366. The BLM is considering increasing daily visitor limits from 20 people to a maximum of 96 people per day (based on limits established in the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument Resource Management Plan) in Coyote Buttes North where the geologic feature known as the Wave is located. No changes to permit numbers for Coyote Buttes South or Buckskin/Paria Canyon are proposed. The BLM is seeking public input regarding resource concerns, access, recreation opportunities, etc., that would be relevant to the analysis. Scoping meetings will be held at the following locations: June 4, 2019: 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Kanab Middle School, 690 S. Cowboy Way, Kanab, Utah. June 5, 2019: 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Courtyard by Marriott Page at Lake Powell, 600 Clubhouse Drive, Page, Arizona. June 6, 2019: 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Dixie Convention Center, 1835 South Convention Center Drive, St. George, Utah. Please provide comments via email to: blm_az_vcnm_pcvc_comments@blm.gov. Please include “Paria Canyon–Vermilion Cliffs Comments” in the subject line. Comments may also be mailed to 345 East Riverside Drive, St. George, UT 84790 attention Brandon Boshell or sent by fax to (435) 688-3258. Based upon the issues identified, the BLM will assess the appropriate level of environmental analysis and documentation.

Project Location:
    Coyote Buttes North where the geologic feature known as the Wave is located.

Attached Files:

2. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

WOW....from 20 people to nearly 100 people.......
  3. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Note: the public comment period ends this Friday, June 21. Please participate. My views summarized below:

Increased visitation will hasten degradation of the resource and visitor experience. I consider this a given, insofar as the resource is concerned. The visitor experience aspect is more subjective, and certainly debatable. A certain kind of visitor may not mind that the resource is degraded, provided their goal of visiting the Wave (in any condition) is achieved. I understand that perspective, but do not share it. The opportunity to visit the place in a relatively unspoiled, uncrowded state should be preserved. That opportunity is steadily being eroded, even at the 20/day limit. I would support a complete cessation of all visitation, but that's probably unrealistic at this point.

Absent that option, let's maintain the slowly-skewed-toward-degradation balance we have at the moment, while exploring other options. Note that the only proposal on the table right now is to increase the quota to 96. Other proposals could be made at the 20/day quota to increase one's chance to visit. For example, the lottery system could be configured to increase one's chances of winning a permit, based on the number of times an individual has previously applied for one (i.e. weighted lottery). Other possibilities exist, and should be explored in the future. Keep it at 20 for now, and explore other options (e.g. a weighted lottery) is where I'm at.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Downward Bound and Steve D like this.