Send us a suggestion!

Problematic Winter Exits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

Let's not forget the disaster at undercover a few years ago. In the winter that can be a very sketchy escape.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

Mark, for us noobs-is there a write up on that?
    Thanks
  3. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/accident-in-arches.16189/

I just did this exit a few days ago, and as the weather has been mild, the exit was non problematic. I had a great time in MMI, Winter Camp and Repeat Jr. and seeing Covert and La Boca arches. This exit is not great for newbies, or for anyone not comfortable with some exposed slab climbing. Add any precipitation or a slick coating on the rock and forget about it. I have also done Undercover where we have spotted a car by Lost Spring. A little extra driving and extra walking, but well worth it for a fun canyon in a nice (remote feeling) area with some folks who would not have enjoyed the standard climbers exit.
    On a separate note, I only had a 120 and a 150 footer, this was no problem for MMI which had anchors in place and in good condition for each drop. I broke the first big drop into three segments, each of which were anchored when I arrived with fresh webbing in great shape. For Winter Camp I rapped down to the ledge, about 50 feet, and then tied my second rope to the first and continued my way down off the ledge, retrieving my rope later. For Repeat I did similar, but not anticipating a ledge, I tied both ropes together and did the one and only drop, passing the knot on the way down, again retrieving on the way back. Short days, and I move slowly, but got them done in daylight and then drove 2.5 hours to Viccos Charcoalburger in Glenwood Springs and scarfed em down while the grateful dead wailed over the Sirius XM satellite signals and across their parking lot.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    ratagonia and Rapterman like this.
  4. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

If you park your car at Lost Springs how far is the hike out from where the regular exit is? You go uphill at all or can you drive down into the canyon?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  5. Ram

Ram

6. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Moab Mark,
    If you park your car at Lost Springs and do MMI or Lost and Found, you will then face about 1.5 miles down canyon to Lost Springs Canyon, and then turn right (west?) another 2 miles or so in Lost Springs Canyon to your vehicle. Its certainly not grueling, yet it does gain you about a 1000 feet of elevation so its definitely not flat. If you have a car to spot, and wish to avoid the exposed slab route on the way out, this is a very enjoyable variation by which to do these canyons. And while not remarkable in any particular way, the exit hike out Lost Springs affords more time in a pleasant enough canyon...so, bonus!
    Chris