Send us a suggestion!

Preferred self belay

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Cowboyfan, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

My experience with climbers is that very very few use a rappel backup. Perhaps only those trained in a club environment, among the few clubs that teach the technique.

Tom
    townsend likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

And there are some great rock climbs near Austin. I was happy that my New Hampshire acquired slab-climbing skills were intact when I visited and was tested by some local friends.

I guess when we do rock climbing in the mountains, it is usually referred to as Alpine Climbing or Alpine Rock Climbing, rather than the bigger-tent word, and possibly archaic word, mountaineering.

Tom
  3. gajslk

gajslk

I'd do it again at a practice cliff. What I wouldn't do again is be the sole competent member of a party doing a multi-drop descent ...
  4. gajslk

gajslk

None of which require a rope ....
  5. gajslk

gajslk

And maybe a few lawyers. Back when I was learning to climb, the Colorado Mountain Club had an iron-clad rule ... Thou shalt not go into the wilds in a group smaller than four adults. I figured that was often three too many and went elsewhere.
    ratagonia likes this.
  6. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Funny...first encounter with the Texas Mountaineers was in Peru at around 16,000 feet on Huascaran...in 1986. In a strange twist of fate, another Texas climber who lives here in SLC now, who I'd met through the AAC, had friends in tow on a trip to the City of Rocks in Idaho. Same folks. Fun to remember old times.

Also have a Dome Driver's license...courtesy of RP and the godfather of Texas Rock climbing...both reasonably accomplished climbers.

I wouldn't discount the skills of any "Texas Mountaineers"...

RIP Jim "the bird" Bridwell. Born in San Antonio Texas.
    Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  7. townsend

townsend

My point was that a 14,000' "elevated geographical feature" can be described as a "mountain", thus justifying the name of the club -- Texas Mountaineers.

We have had a ground swell of resentment against Texans.:woot:

Each Texan needs to be judged on how he behaves. Many of them do far exceed even the minimal qualifications for civility, thereby justifying descriptors such as jerk, redneck, (c)rude, bigot, racist, etc. What do you expect when the attorney general, the leading law enforcement official in the state, stands indicted of a felony -- securities fraud. Disgusting. I am leaving the "land of disenchantment" this year -- never to return.
  8. gajslk

gajslk

Agreed. And I like most Texans that I've met. But when your state's roads get clogged up with them every summer and none of them seem to know where they are and are in no hurry to figure it out, you get tired of it. So add Coloradans to the group that loves to rag on Texans. Too much of a good thing is still too much ....
    townsend likes this.
  9. Kuenn

Kuenn

All this talk about "Texicans" for some reason brought to mind a John Wayne quote from True Grit:

Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne): Damn that Texan - when you need him, he's dead.
    LaBoeuf (Glen Campbell): I ain't dead yet, you bushwhacker.
    hank moon likes this.