Send us a suggestion!

Potshot rope

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Derek

Derek

I was wondering what rope diameter and what length of rope everyone is using for their potshots to escape potholes? I know some people use 6mm and others 8mm. Thanks
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I don't carry a special rope for tossing potshots, I just use my rap ropes, which are mostly 8mm.
    2065toyota and spinesnaper like this.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

I guess if you had a really long toss maybe it would be good to have a super light rope to do it, but I've never seen anyone use anything other than the regular ropes they're carrying.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

I've heard of people using the 6mm pull cord for the Poe Throw... not sure who from...
  5. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Cant go too light no matter the throw though because you still have to go up whatever you throw.
    Chasetharp likes this.
  6. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

Interesting, never heard of using 6mm, don’t see the reasoning behind it. Your question has been answered but I wanted to add that we usually carry some shorter “work ropes” for tosses and lowering into potholes. Can get end cuts from a lot of people in the business. Less abuse on the longer ropes. But mostly ideal for canyons with a lot of potholes like quandary, woody, etc. Works well for us!