Send us a suggestion!

POT STICKERS AND BUTT PROTECTORS

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by Rapterman, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Rapterman

Rapterman

2. Canyonero

Canyonero

I only got two canyons out of my butt protector. Can you make them out of Kevlar and sell them by the 10 pack? :)

On a serious note, how about making the material extra thick at the usual wear points (like 5 or 10 layers of what you've got there?)

What's the best way to use duct tape to extend the life of these things? I'm having a hard time keeping the duct tape on.
  3. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Canyonero
    Yeah, the life of a butt protector can be short! It is way on the disposable side of disposable canyon gear.
    The idea is to have the butt protector be cheaper than your pants/wetsuit/harness/ bum cheeks.
    We are currently using the same vinyl the OTHER canyon gear company is using and it is flexible but not very long lasting.
    Duct tape does not stick great to vinyl, but HH-66 vinyl cement sticks really well!
    You can buy one of our vinyl repair kits online for $15 (repairs our rope bags, butt protectors, and packs to come www.canyonwerks.com)
    OR you can be our testor on a heavier vinyl version of the butt protector: guaranteed to be stiffer and last longer!
    Send us a PM with your name, phone, and address and we will send you one (free) in return for your unfiltered review/comments/derision/etc.
    Best, Todd and Desiree
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

PM Sent.
  5. Rapterman

Rapterman

Heavier vinyl test model coming your way today:)
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

Liking the heavier butt protector so far. Sent you an email with pics. Will post more after a few more canyons.
    Rapterman likes this.
  7. Rapterman

Rapterman

Great, thanks!
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Instead of using expensive (20 something $ for a half dozen canyons) ,"disposable" and toxic pvc butt protection, just buy some polyester basketball shorts from Walmart for $7.00. Some of them are even partially made from post-consumer material. I got 10 moderate to harsh canyons out of my last pair. They can also be recycled. Definitely the more economically and environmentally conscious choice.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Wes1 likes this.
  9. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Yes, and/or double knit poly baseball bottoms, which make great canyon pants in general: cheaps, stretchy, dry fast, relatively abrasion resistant, etc.

And: A call to Imlay Canyon Gear and Canyon Werks to stop using PVC in their products. Other stuff (e.g. urethane) is less toxic, more durable, etc.

Again, URETHANE is significantly more durable and less toxic than PVC. Note that most (all?) of the Euro butt covers are made with urethane.

Info from: http://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=84

How can PVC affect my health?
    Exposure to PVC often includes exposure to phthalates, which are used to soften PVC and may have adverse health effects.

Because of PVC’s heavy chlorine content, dioxins are released during the manufacturing, burning, or landfilling of PVC. Exposure to dioxins can cause reproductive, developmental, and other health problems, and at least one dioxin is classified as a carcinogen.

Dioxins, phthalates, and BPA are suspected to be endocrine disruptors, which are chemicals that may interfere with the production or activity of hormones in the human endocrine system.

Exposure to PVC dust may cause asthma and affect the lungs.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride

In February 2007, the Technical and Scientific Advisory Committee of the US Green Building Council (USGBC) released its report on a PVC avoidance related materials credit for the LEED Green Building Rating system. The report concludes that "no single material shows up as the best across all the human health and environmental impact categories, nor as the worst" but that the "risk of dioxin emissions puts PVC consistently among the worst materials for human health impacts."
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. Rapterman

Rapterman

We share your concerns about the environmental impact of everything we do at canyonwerks.com.
    That is why the majority of the materials we use are phthalate free and made in the USA under strict environmental regulation.
    All synthetic materials have some environmental impact and the worst are IMPORTED from countries that have little (if any) environmental regulation to govern their manufacture. And they are typically assembled in slave wage, sweat shop conditions (prime example: polyester walmart shorts).
    In our sport, one of the worst toxic offenders are NEOPRENE WETSUITS.
    Did you know that your (cheap) wetsuit is a chemical stew of compounds like formaldehyde, lead, chlorine, and phthalates?
    Unless you bought your suit from Patagonia.
    About $1000 a pop....
    Best, Todd and Desi
  11. hank moon

Ha ha! yeah, i thought the same about the polyester walmart shorts (though still arguably less impactful than PVC butts). And been thinking about a Patagonia wetsuit, actually. Just need to come up with a cheap, disposable, high-toxicity coverall to protect it.

Anyway, not looking to start an EPA-level discussion. Just a shout-out to Imlay Canyon Gear and Canyon Werks to stop using PVC in their products. Consumer feedback, etc.

AFAIK the chief benefits of PVC are availability and price. Would you care to comment on the functional benefits to the user of PVC-coated cloth over less-toxic alternatives, such as urethane-coated?

hank

p.s. the "and" in "Imlay Canyon Gear and Canyon Werks" is important (as in, not "or")
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  12. Rapterman

Rapterman

Early in my sewing career I went to China to inspect production there and found it to be the most
    horrifically polluted :hungover: place you could ever imagine.
    That is why I swore to keep all my company's manufacturing in the USA and have been doing so for 20 plus years.
    Walmart (and "off-shoring" corporations like them) export American jobs to places like China partly because there is very little enforcement of environmental regulations.
    In our manufacturing we use both urethane coated fabric and PVC coated fabrics: each has pluses and minuses for different applications.
    If a phthalate -free butt protector keeps your imported harness and toxic wetsuit out of the landfill a little longer (so you do not have to consume more of them) then that is an environmental plus.
    And purchasing canyonwerks.com products keeps jobs here in America:)
    Best
    Todd
  13. hank moon

Wait, wait, don't tell me...

Practicing for this year's costume: U.S. presidential candidate, in debate mode? <wink>
    Rapterman likes this.
  14. Rapterman

Rapterman

:D that's a good one!
    But seriously, I get PISSED with this whole shipping manufacturing overseas stuff.
    As more manufacturing leaves the USA, raw material supply chains fall apart, which further degrades the ability to make superior products in America.
    Over the last 2 decades we are finding it harder and harder to source domestic metals, fabrics, machine tools, etc
    The WALMARTS (Waltons) of the world are making billions with these hi-jinks.
    What do you and I get out of it?
    Except for some crummy shorts...
    hank moon likes this.
  15. Canyonero

Canyonero

Powell Canyoneering May 2015 169.JPG Powell Canyoneering May 2015 169.JPG Powell Canyoneering May 2015 168.JPG Powell Canyoneering May 2015 167.JPG Powell Canyoneering May 2015 166.JPG

Okay. Here is my unfiltered review of Todd and Desi's (Canyonwerks) THICK butt protector. I expressed disappointment in their thin one as it only lasted a canyon or two. This thicker one was much better. You can see its current state. This is after 6 Moab canyons, three escalante canyons, a Zion canyon, and most importantly, six super high friction/sliding Powell canyons. So instead of 1-5 canyons, you get 8-15 out of the thicker stuff.

A few comments:

1) Lots of people complain about the feel of the thicker stuff- it's diaper like when brand new. That's true, but it doesn't last long and given the dramatically increased durability, is totally worth it. In fact, I would like one even thicker than this one.

2) It would be cool if it could be made reversible. Most of us don't wear both sides the same, so it would be nice to flip it somehow after 5 canyons.

3) The biggest wear spot for me is still right over the leg loops. Making that part even thicker would be better and wouldn't increase the diaper feel.

4) The straps wear too, but not as fast as the rest of it, so that's fine.

5) Somehow getting the price down on these would help given how disposable they are. Maybe sell them in a three pack. :)
  16. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Canyonero
    The other way to extend the life of the butt protector is to patch it with our repair kit.
    A three pack?
    Interesting idea....
    :D :D :D
    Chris Grove likes this.
  17. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I am getting 30-40 canyons out of a scuttlebutt. Are they made of a different materials

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rapterman likes this.
  18. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

@2065toyota you stick mainly to Zion canyons though which aren't nearly as hard on the gear as some other areas.
    Rapterman and 2065toyota like this.
  19. 2065toyota

2065toyota

That could very well be the case

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rapterman likes this.
  20. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Places like lake Powell and North wash are absolute gear eaters.

Location location location.

They are all made of PVC, though not all PVC laminates are created equal.
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Rapterman and 2065toyota like this.