Send us a suggestion!

AZ: VRG Portal Canyon (VRG) - 1/5/19

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Christian Felger, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Christian Felger

Christian Felger

Descended Portal expecting anchors to be in bad shape or washed out. All the anchors we in good shape except for the first one. The webbing had some tears in it, but it was easily downclimbed so we didnt replace it.
    The approach is long and steep, but worth the views! Youll run into a skiff of snow on the final ridge and contour before the canyon. We started the hike a bit before sunrise at 7am, and got back to the cars at 3:30pm. There were 3 people in our group. We took 2 - 200' ropes, a 60' rope, and a 60' pullcord. That allowed us to leap frog really well.
    Crossing the Virgin was painfully cold but easy. Ankle-knee deep water. We wore extra shoes and left them on the side of the river.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Niiice.

"The webbing had some tears in it, but it was easily downclimbed so we didn't replace it."

I'm hoping you removed it. Don't need to replace it or build a better anchor if you are going to downclimb it, but... Plenty of people out there doing canyons that do not inspect the webbing on anchors.

(in my role as Captain Obvious, or Captain Obnoxious as some people spell it)

Tom
  3. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

4. Christian Felger

Christian Felger

It's 2mm dyneema pullcord wrapped in a polyester sheath that I use to fiddlestick/toggle. Eryn wanted to see the fiddlestick in action so we used it a few times unnecessarily.
    It's actually really nice cord. Totally static, high strength, and abrasion and UV resistent unlike other dyneema cords people often use for the same application. I also dont have problems with it tangling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk