Send us a suggestion!

Poe - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Utah' started by Dan Ransom, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Ram likes this.
  2. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

In regards to the overland approach referenced in the Betabase, I've received a handful of emails asking if I have done it. My answer is no, I have not. I've been aware of it for a few years, but always used a boat and approached from the lake. With that said, I have gathered some notes, and share them here, with a warning to take them with a grain of salt.

The route essentially travels cross country from the Burr Trail, and descends a small break on the east side of Halls Creek. There is at least one commercial outfit guiding clients out of lower Halls using the "entrada break." With a little bit of work, you are likely to find a few photos online. A few are linked here, with permission from Steve Harry. (http://www.steveharryssite.com/WaterpocketFold.htm)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Route is in Yellow.

[​IMG]
    Satellite view

[​IMG]
    Topo View.
    Mountaineer and Ram like this.
  3. Jenny

Jenny

Dan, thank you for your comprehensive compilation of historical facts, photos, resource links and stories about this canyon. I hope that others understand and appreciate the enormity of that task. How you manage to do all you do, plus get out and do some hard-core canyoneering is commendable as well.
    I have several (truth be know I have many) topics that I’d love to put out on this Discussion Thread. With restraint, I’ll restrain myself to comment solely on the overland approach.

When Mike Bogart first introduced Halls Creek to me, in 1981, (via a similar overland route through the cliff) it was a pristine watercourse with very little evidence of human passage. Certainly it has a history of cowboys and miners passing through. A few backpackers traveled down the creek as well, but usually they turned around after seeing the narrows. I saw no sign of the tamarisk jungles, beaver dams, mazes of trails or fire pits. It seemed that folks that invested the necessary effort to get to Millers Creek practiced leave-no-trace choices.

32 years later the spotlight has turned on this route, as possible “short-cut”, offering another access to the area. No doubt, visitation to the area will increases as a direct result. We knew this would eventually happen.

I invite everyone to please CAREfully consider the impact you make. Be conscious of how you move through the place; avoid the crypto biotic soils, follow the human trails that now exist, leave the beaches free of fire traces, make a long trek to evacuate your bowels, pull up a few nasty tamarisks as you pass, walk gently and with gratitude through the fragile ecosystems in the canyon(s), avoid smooshing little critters and most importantly, please, pretty please, love this special place.

Note to my ol' pal:
    Bogie (if you venture into this web world) please forgive me for speaking for you in these things.
    Cameron, townsend, Taylor and 6 others like this.
  4. Jenny

Jenny

Here's a photo (by permission from the inventor/creator, Mike Bogart) of the custom-made, expandable and retrievable bolts that he used to work his way up the wall above The Pit of Despair in Poe. Clever boy, eh?

Stevee B. I thought you would find this adaptation of a bicycle quick release lever very cool.

mail.
    Tyler, Taylor, Kevin and 5 others like this.
  5. Stevee B

Stevee B

Removable bolts before removable bolts. Ingenious! Thanks for sharing Jenny.
  6. John Diener

John Diener

The info in the betabase about getting by the Pit of Poe using potshots is good, but I thought I'd add a bit of additional info.
    - Better to get four 1/4-full bags across than struggle to get three 1/3-full bags (or 1/3 vs 1/2, etc.).
    - Using full-size (8mm) rope as the line definitely creates more drag, so something like 6mm pull cord may work well. But! Remember that whatever you use, the climber/ascender must go out on. 1/8" dyneema cord tosses great, but is likely unclimbable. Note also that using a mix of different ropes/cords may not work well as when grouped some may not "grab". We ended up with two bags tied to 8mm and two tied to 1/8" dyneema and it appeared that almost all the climber's force applied only to the two former, with very little help from the latter.
    - Set the potshots before climbing. This "setting" must be done from down in the Pit. Gently pull each potshot individually until they reach a catch point. Once that is done, test pull as a group with full weight.
    - If your tosses are coming up just a bit short, here are a few tips that might get you that extra 2-5 feet: One, cinch the unfilled portion of the bag with some cord to improve aerodynamics. Two, use a 4-6ft webbing strap to swing the bag and toss, rather than the rope that is tied to it. Put a knot in the webbing to provide a handle. This promotes a good toss and keeps the attached rope more out of the way while getting a swing going.

Here's a pic of the main catch point on the far side of the pit:

WPFold (152).JPG

Behind the photographer is another decent size pothole with a good lip. A toss of 60-65+ feet gets a potshot in there, but I'm not sure it adds much to do so.

-john
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Great stuff John, thanks.

Tom
  8. bucky

bucky

Just got back from a trip down Poe Canyon. On the flat balcony immediately (like maybe about ten feet) after the Pit, there is a foot-tall cobble and sand dam. It catches potshots, thus reducing the required toss distance. Rumor has it that it has been there a while. We left it in place, though Mother Nature eventually will remove it. Some of us felt this dam was simply the result of naturally occurring rockfall. To me it seemed as purposefully constructed as a beaver dam. Anyone got the real story on how this dam came to be?
    JTMiller likes this.
  9. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

You forgot to add...have a backyard bbq with a potshot tossing competition (!).
    John Diener likes this.
  10. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

That's pretty nifty!

I take it Mike didn't like bathooks? Ha ha.

The Petzl Triplex bolt was kinda removable. Might have to pry the hanger/bolt sleeve up though.

I have an old Russian titanium bolt that was removable. No idear where I got it. Simple tightening and loosening bolt/sleeve.

Good stuff...thanks for posting!
  11. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

AKA - the lizard route to a few parkies, most that had done it retired or left CARE been on my list of routes to check out for awhile (but I will not be hitting Poe).
  12. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

We went through at the end of September last year, right after a series of fierce storms that we assume caused the canyon to flash or at least come close to filling. We assumed the rockfall happened because of the storms just before we went through. The rocks and sand were a bit scattered but generally in that one spot. We ended up using the rubble to catch our potshots instead of throwing repeatedly and it worked. We did bunch some of the rocks and sand up in case anyone needed a bailout. I would reiterate your comment that no one should rely on this being here as it will likely leave just as quickly as it showed up. Here's how we left it.

P9232738.JPG
    bhalvers2002 likes this.
  13. bucky

bucky

Thanks Jolly Green; if the dam been there since Sept I imagine others encountered it too. I was just curious. Super cool canyon, we had pretty low water in lower part, the Pit measured 14 feet vert from h20 to the lip.