Send us a suggestion!

Poaching Canyons in time of plague...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Aug 18, 2020.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Tom

I am considering doing Imlay Canyon or Kolob Canyon, without a permit.

I respect your opinion and would love to get your perspective as to whether this is a risk worth taking or a bad decision. Would you please share your personal opinion about this course of action?

(name withheld for obvious reasons)

Dear name withheld -

I think it would be really dumb.

But really, don't, please. It would reflect very poorly on the Canyoneering Community. Especially if you frakked up and needed rescue, but in any way if you got caught. For you personally, if you got caught, you would probably get the $5000.00 (per person) fine, and might even end up doing some time in the county jail.

There are canyons on the same scale down in Arizona north of Sedona. They are known as the "I" canyons, and they are very wet and ready to go. Insomnia and Illusions.

Or go to Ouray. Or go do Choprock. Other than being a PUNK, why would you poach something in Zion when there are plenty of canyons elsewhere that are open and legal?

And thank you for asking.

Tom
    Bootboy, Eroni, Yellow Dart and 3 others like this.
  2. Ancient

Ancient

Being honest, I have been tempted as my annual Zion trip is right around the corner. Thanks for pointing to other worthwhile destinations. I'm planning to keep my Zion plans this year, but plan on branching out to some of the nearby options outside the park boundaries (See my request for advice thread).
  3. Eroni

Eroni

Plenty to do outside the park.
    Fills my heart to know some of our favorite places are getting a much needed break. Imagine how lovely and fresh they will be when they're open to us again!
    Gooseberry, hank moon and ratagonia like this.
  4. MrAdam

MrAdam

FYI the final pothole in Illusions is currently in full keeper mode, 8+' below the lip, and likely will stay that way unless we get a late monsoon.
    Yellow Dart and ratagonia like this.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

I have a friend with a felony on his record for walking through the Zion canyon tunnel when he was 18. Don't screw with those guys. It's all federal law and federal enforcement, so expect less mercy than you might get locally.

And Ouray and Choprock were both quite nice this summer.
    Yellow Dart likes this.