Send us a suggestion!

Pleiades

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robert kyslovsky, Aug 31, 2016.

1. robert kyslovsky

robert kyslovsky

Which location would you be checking to monitor weather near Pleiades...la sal junction? or Moab? Also as far as flashing goes, I am presuming there is a little safety margin being up in the La Sals as opposed to open slickrock...Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Bobby
  2. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Little to no escape on this one, however, the narrows section is not very long. One thing this canyon does have going for it, at least in that regard, is the surrounding geology (up stream) is not entirely sandstone.

I would think the climate in this area vs. Moab (proper) could be considerably different.
  3. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

Flash floods are pretty much a non issue with Pleiades as this is a high mountain stream in a forest and not a slick rock slot canyon. Also the canyon is very easy to escape anywhere along the route.
    robert kyslovsky and Ram like this.
  4. robert kyslovsky

robert kyslovsky

Thanks, I did it yesterday. It was great. Dry in Brumley Creek until reaching the start of the slot section. Must be spring activity there. We hiked in on the Squaw Springs Trail, so I presume the slot was squaw springs fed. Regardless, it was a blast. Every natural anchor was solid and in fine shape, some with static line, others with webbing, but all looking fresh and strong. If you want some raging class C action, look elsewhere at this current time. But, if you want a steady, low, flow...providing scenic falls at every drop, but not threatening and easy to avoid most water also...then pack your gear and head there now.
    I get cold fast, my fatter buddy does not, both of us were glad to be wearing 3/2 mil full suits and 2 mil neo socks. I also wore a hat under my helmet. My buddy skipped the hat. We discussed the option of warm layers and rain jacket, but honestly we were each happy to have suited up...we moved slow to savor the slot and to listen to the water and even take a brief, albeit unnecessary, lunch break on a boulder in the slot for no other reason than to maximize our time in there. Dragging our feet, car to car, about 4 hours. And dont miss the awesome Brumley Arch...we hiked to it, about five to ten minutes down stream, and then viewed it again early on the exit hike out by simply turning around and looking back towards the north (the side Pleiades is on).

Scott and Axe thank you for input. I appreciate the replies.
    Ram likes this.
  5. Ram

Ram

Oft times, streams can be underground until they hit steeper ground, like where this canyon plunges. Then then come out or increase flow. I have never been further down toward the arch. Did flow level appear the same, decrease or go under again? Is the stream slope, below the slot, flat, just as steep as the slot or somewhere in between?
    Thanks for the report :twothumbs:
    robert kyslovsky likes this.
  6. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Forgot to mention our *navigation mistake* on the way back out. Once we reached the fence line, heading back on the trail to the North, we crossed back over the creek vs. staying to the right. We may have bushwhacked a new trail back to the parking spot. ;)

Additionally, there were some bear hunters out with their hounds - who stated they weren't actively hunting, just discouraging the bears from loitering in that area....go figure. One was parked at the trailhead and warned us that they had spotted a bear a little higher in elevation. I also made the mistake of asking how many bear were in the area. It created a little apprehension on our part - was this bear now agitated? Fortunately for us, we never encountered any more wildlife than a pair of their hounds with radio collars. One did try to follow us down to the first rap, we eventually found its owner prior to heading down the slotted section of the canyon.
    robert kyslovsky likes this.
  7. robert kyslovsky

robert kyslovsky

Scott, I saw no bears and no hunters, which was cool with me. Ram, the grade of the creek bed seemed no steeper above the slot than it did below the slot. I have no idea if the creek was flowing underground only to emerge at the start of the technical section, or if spring fed water was providing the flow. I am guessing spring fed...the hike in was on the Squaw Springs Trail, as you know, so the question now is...where is/are Squaw Springs? I assumed they drained into Brumley. Just a guess. Below the slot, however, Brumley Creek had shin deep water for at least the five minute walk to the arch.
  8. Canyonero

Canyonero

Flash risk seems very low in this exceedingly short canyon. I've done it car to car in less than an hour before. You can even climb out after the first rap if you want. It's literally walk 10 minutes, rap, rap, (flash risk starts) rap, rap, rap, rap (flash risk over), walk 15 minutes.