Send us a suggestion!

Pleiades Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by dustin crowner, Sep 18, 2016.

1. dustin crowner

dustin crowner

My buddy and I completed this canyon yesterday (9/17/16). It was my first weekend canyoneering, and my partner was the one showing me the sport. Unfortunately, on the 3rd rappel, he pulled his shoulder out grabbing onto a rock(Not a great place to be injured). Fortunately, we knew enough about rock climbing/rescue to get him out of there safely and to the ER. We had two ropes but also left two ropes because I managed to get them stuck in a state of panic and uncertainty.( I wasn't familiar with clean anchor systems) A lot was learned, and will wait to return until canyoneering knowledge is better. If you happen to read this and retrieve the ropes anytime soon, I would greatly appreciate the return and pay for any sort of shipping with a reward.
    bhalvers2002, darhawk, Kevin and 3 others like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Glad you were able to get on out without too much drama. Losing a few ropes is not so much on that scale.

Imlay Canyon Gear has a bad-luck discount for situations like this. If you'd like to replace your ropes, please drop me a message.

Tom
    madman_lee, Taylor, Deagol and 10 others like this.
  3. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

I'm just waiting to hear what lucky canyoneer found 2 ropes !!! Glad everything turned out okay & hopefully doesn't steer you away from canyoneering.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

Nice work self-rescuing.
    dustin crowner likes this.
  5. dustin crowner

dustin crowner

Ropes were found, and the founder of them called me to get them back. It just so happens that he is visiting a friend where I live in a week. I am very thankful for the few good humans left on this earth, we seem to thrive in sports that appear crazy to the rest. With that being said, I wouldn't even consider not participating in canyoneering again. Matter of fact, I have religiously been reading about the sport and plan to invest in more suitable gear. We WILL return for a clean experience after he recovers. I recommend watching "Down the Line" if you like canyoning, its a 5/5 star video about the sport.

-Cheers
    ratagonia and John Styrnol like this.
  6. dustin crowner

dustin crowner

I left a note in a bag on a whim that someone wanted some good karma back ;)
  7. Jay Wisocki

Jay Wisocki Owner at Wilderness First Recovery LLC

That's a fun little canyon, I usually run it when im in Moab. Glad yall made it out ok. Luckily yall were in a really short canyon. How was the flow?
  8. dustin crowner

dustin crowner

The water was ankle deep or so at the top. We definitely got fairly wet, but I would consider the flow to be low. I don't think it had rained in a while.
  9. JR Dethorn

JR Dethorn

Has anyone done the canyon in the last week. Heading to Moab next week and just trying to get some beta on water conditions. thanks JR
  10. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I don't have current conditions, but June is usually too early for the canyon.
    John Styrnol likes this.
  11. JR Dethorn

JR Dethorn

Scott, thanks for the feedback.

JR
  12. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

I'll disagree with that statement as we have done the canyon several times in late May and early June. What you need to understand is at that time of year the canyon is in true class C conditions and is not suitable for beginners.

By late June the canyon should have tamed down a lot. And by mid July the water flow is down to a kiddie friendly stream. The canyon also has numerous escapes, so if you give it a try and find the stream flow to intense for your liking it's easy to bail out at just about any point.
  13. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

FWIW - This picture is from Memorial Day several years ago.

[​IMG]

This is kiddie friendly late sumer

[​IMG]

And this is in January :)

[​IMG]
  14. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Has anyone been down the Pleiades recently? Curious about flow. I often do it in september when brumley is fully dry, and the only water appears from the springs near the top of the slot. Never been mid july and not really sure what snow pack was like in the la sals this year, though I believe I heard it was some healthy snow. Regardless of that blather, anyone been down lately? Nothing on canditions web site of immediate use to me...thanks much
  15. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

Two weeks ago Pleiades was flowing about like the gutter in front of your house, 1 maybe 2 CFS. In other words it's currently in kiddie canyoneer conditions. Enjoy.
  16. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Cool. Thanks.
    I had heard something about recent rock fall in the canyon in early spring...not sure where I heard it, and unconfirmed. I assume you noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Thanks again.