Send us a suggestion!

Pine Creek - Keyhole- Birch Hollow conditions

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Verlyn Hawks, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Verlyn Hawks

Verlyn Hawks Guest

A heads up on Pine Creek. I was just in Zions Thursday/Friday with plans to do Keyhole and Pine Creek but Pine Creek had substantial flow going into it. I had three newbies so that was out of the question - but not sure I would have considered it even with experienced folks. If you are planning on it make sure you are up for it. Check with Neil Wilkenson or one of the few others who have done it with major flow. If in doubt - stay out.

Keyhole had slight flow and everything was completely topped off and freezing cold - as usual - but was a blast - always fun with newbies anyway.

Also did Birch Hollow - it also had flow going into it but it was acceptable -but a bit cold. Found a muddy landslide mess we had to work around at the first dryfall. The flowing water made for a number of wet raps and it was fairly cold up that high. No skunks found. Skunk chamber was filled to the lip with sand.

Orderville was rolling pretty good so we had fun hiking up it. Lots of dirt slides and downed trees in it right now. No issues other than the blasted walk up orderville road and back to the truck since we only had one vehicle. I decided not to do the Wind Hollow route since it had flow coming down it didn't feel like bush wacking.

Verlyn

2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Thanks Verlyn. How was the Orderville road? The BC Desk said it was a mess up to Chamberlain Ranch.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Verlyn Hawks <verlyndhawks@y...> wrote: > A heads up on Pine Creek.
  3. Verlyn Hawks

Verlyn Hawks Guest

First of all the sign says 'Road Closed' right where the pavement ends so I can't encourage folks to drive the road. :)

It was rutted in spots but dried out all the way to the Orderville road except in two places - where Birch Hollow crosses the road and where Wind hollow crosses the road. Those short spots were muddy but nothing extreme.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagoni@x> wrote:
    Thanks Verlyn. How was the Orderville road? The BC Desk said it was > a mess up to Chamberlain Ranch.
    Tom
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Verlyn Hawks <verlyndhawks@y...> wrote:
    A heads up on Pine Creek.