Send us a suggestion!

- Pine Creek- Bridge Mt. Arch

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by adkramoo, Jun 3, 2009.

1. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

Heaps is a big day and one has to be in the canyon later than one wants. Good choice of partner, going with the "King of Heaps." You enjoy Bridge Mt. Arch hike? How is that for an "up and down" 10 mile round trip? You take a rope at the Chimney? Awkward spot. I haven't been in ages. I bet it is still largely trackless. Thanks for the TR R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@...> wrote:
    Bo and I got a not too favarable forecast for Heaps on Saturday so we hiked to Bridge Mountain Arch aka Crawford Arch. Their was a group of 12 boy scouts all with out wetsuits, several other groups without wetsuits. We could hear them screaming from the canyon. A guy from another group came running back up all wet to get a wetsuit. Bo wanted to get hiking ASAP before he got called out for the rescue.
    Got raining on hiking back from the Arch so made the right decsion to not do Heaps. One of these days. . .
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Aaron and the Mapleton Venture Scouts did Pine Creek yesterday. They report the canyon tippy top full and wet suit appropriate.
    >
  2. Shaun

Shaun Guest

I should have mentioned in my first post that the groups going in with no wetsuit were doing Pine Creek which shares the same trail head as Bridge Mt. Arch for those that don't know.

Yes Ram, enjoyed the hike. It was a lot of ups and downs that I felt for a few days afterwards. We took a rope for the chimney and rappel back down. In some spots a well defined social and game trail has formed. In other areas it was trackless. There was some quick sand in Gifford. Took us 7.5 hours which I believe is the fastest Bo has done it. We took are time and rested in a few spots. Afterwards at Oscars waiting for Randi and company to show up (didn't meet her) we talked to Zack about two rock climbing routes that go straight up the cliff to the arch. May consider doing that next time.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Heaps is a big day and one has to be in the canyon later than one wants. Good choice of partner, going with the "King of Heaps." > You enjoy Bridge Mt. Arch hike? How is that for an "up and down" 10 mile round trip? You take a rope at the Chimney? Awkward spot. I haven't been in ages. I bet it is still largely trackless. Thanks for the TR > R
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@> wrote:

Bo and I got a not too favarable forecast for Heaps on Saturday so we hiked to Bridge Mountain Arch aka Crawford Arch. Their was a group of 12 boy scouts all with out wetsuits, several other groups without wetsuits. We could hear them screaming from the canyon. A guy from another group came running back up all wet to get a wetsuit. Bo wanted to get hiking ASAP before he got called out for the rescue.

Got raining on hiking back from the Arch so made the right decsion to not do Heaps. One of these days. . .

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Aaron and the Mapleton Venture Scouts did Pine Creek yesterday. They report the canyon tippy top full and wet suit appropriate.
  3. Randi

Randi Guest

Hey Shaun, I was sorry we missed you guys! We didn't actually get to Oscar's til about 7:30 that night. Tom joined us shortly after, and we had a real nice time.   We did end up doing lady Mountain after all, but we only went about half way before it started thundering and sprinkling. So we headed down and did an Emerald Pools hike, then took a shuttle ride through the park. This was the first time either of my friends had been there.   Next day I took them down Keyhole & PineCreek (Tom joined us for the latter). They LOVED both of the canyons! BTW - shout out to Ram for coming up with the wonderful idea of keeping our wetsuits on after Keyhole, tarping the inside of the car and doing a drive over/drop in at Pine Creek. Beauty, without the beastly shucking and donning of the wet rubber! :) Worked great Ram. Thanks for the tip.   I ran into Dan Ransom's old room mate, Brandon or Brendon? on the bus and we had a good chat. Really nice guy! Him and his family and buddies had some fun and interesting stories to tell!   Sorry we didn't meet up and also that you didn't get your Heaps in, but the Bridge Mountain hike is pretty spectacular too! I'd like to do that one again for sure. Especially since I have no pictures of it, having lost my camera the next day ~ :(   Sounds like you guys had a nice time!   ~Randi  

--- On Thu, 6/4/09, Shaun trackrunner83@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Shaun trackrunner83@yahoo.com> Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: - Pine Creek- Bridge Mt. Arch To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 11:18 AM

I should have mentioned in my first post that the groups going in with no wetsuit were doing Pine Creek which shares the same trail head as Bridge Mt. Arch for those that don't know.

Yes Ram, enjoyed the hike. It was a lot of ups and downs that I felt for a few days afterwards. We took a rope for the chimney and rappel back down. In some spots a well defined social and game trail has formed. In other areas it was trackless. There was some quick sand in Gifford. Took us 7.5 hours which I believe is the fastest Bo has done it. We took are time and rested in a few spots. Afterwards at Oscars waiting for Randi and company to show up (didn't meet her) we talked to Zack about two rock climbing routes that go straight up the cliff to the arch. May consider doing that next time.

--- In canyons@yahoogroups .com, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@.. .> wrote:
    Heaps is a big day and one has to be in the canyon later than one wants. Good choice of partner, going with the "King of Heaps." > You enjoy Bridge Mt. Arch hike? How is that for an "up and down" 10 mile round trip? You take a rope at the Chimney? Awkward spot. I haven't been in ages. I bet it is still largely trackless. Thanks for the TR > R
    > --- In canyons@yahoogroups .com, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@ > wrote:

--- In canyons@yahoogroups .com, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

4. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi <advntr_inxs@...> wrote: BTW - shout out to Ram for coming up with the wonderful idea of keeping our wetsuits on after Keyhole, tarping the inside of the car and doing a drive over/drop in at Pine Creek. Beauty, without the beastly shucking and donning of the wet rubber! :) Worked great Ram. Thanks for the tip.

Welcome. An old trick. The problem with coming out of Keyhole, is you have no time to walk the water out of your suit, so we generally go with the tarp or large bags, still wearing the suit and straight into Pine. This way you are on with the suit just once during the day. Doing Pine first tempts one to be lazy, as one would have to put the suit on again and unless you are camped on the east side, it makes for more driving, going all the way out east. A lovely splasher of a day. R
  5. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@...> wrote: > Yes Ram, enjoyed the hike. It was a lot of ups and downs that I felt for a few days afterwards. We took a rope for the chimney and rappel back down. In some spots a well defined social and game trail has formed. In other areas it was trackless. There was some quick sand in Gifford. Took us 7.5 hours which I believe is the fastest Bo has done it. We took are time and rested in a few spots.

Very good time. Having two helps, but having two anaerobically sound athletes helps even more! Not buying the stiff and sore line though. You got too good a running resume for that. ;-) With the ups and downs, a mile an hour car to car is what most do. A great cross country ramble. As to the direct routes up there....those are some real walls your talkin bout. Take pictures for me, cause I ain't neva gonna be there!! ;-) R
  6. Shaun

Shaun Guest

I felt it. Haven't been living up to the "runner" part of my name for a long time. Need to get out running more. Train for that KHEEPLAY in a day challenge. ;)

What was scarry for the bridge mountain is the slickrock was covered in sand from the recent rains. The chimney was caked in sand. Bo & I tried to brush off the bottom of the crux as much as possible.

The most direct route is 5.11 finger crack, no thanks but there is a 5.9 that Zack said a simple rack would do. FYI a 60m rope in a couple stages is all that is needed to rappel back.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@> wrote:
    Yes Ram, enjoyed the hike. It was a lot of ups and downs that I felt for a few days afterwards. We took a rope for the chimney and rappel back down. In some spots a well defined social and game trail has formed. In other areas it was trackless. There was some quick sand in Gifford. Took us 7.5 hours which I believe is the fastest Bo has done it. We took are time and rested in a few spots.
    Very good time. Having two helps, but having two anaerobically sound athletes helps even more! Not buying the stiff and sore line though. You got too good a running resume for that. ;-) With the ups and downs, a mile an hour car to car is what most do. A great cross country ramble. As to the direct routes up there....those are some real walls your talkin bout. Take pictures for me, cause I ain't neva gonna be there!! ;-) > R >
  7. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@...> wrote:
    I felt it. Haven't been living up to the "runner" part of my name for a long time. Need to get out running more. Train for that KHEEPLAY in a day challenge. ;)

KHEEPLAY???

> What was scarry for the bridge mountain is the slickrock was covered in sand from the recent rains. The chimney was caked in sand. Bo & I tried to brush off the bottom of the crux as much as possible.

As if Zion routes aren't slanted and dirty enough to start with in so many cases ;-)

> The most direct route is 5.11 finger crack, no thanks but there is a 5.9 that Zack said a simple rack would do. FYI a 60m rope in a couple stages is all that is needed to rappel back.

OK, so we are talking about a multi rap route down, right? Question, is it from the Hepworth side, leaving one by the tunnel or does it go off the west side of Bridge Mountain, aiming at the museum? That slope would leave a ways to the road and a river crossing, although a hook up with the Pa'rous (sp?) trail would be an option. Just curious where exactly one would hook this descent route from? Ramoo
  8. Shaun

Shaun Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@> wrote:

KHEEPLAY???

Kolob, Heeps, Imlay all in one day. lol ;)

What was scarry for the bridge mountain is the slickrock was covered in sand from the recent rains. The chimney was caked in sand. Bo & I tried to brush off the bottom of the crux as much as possible.
    As if Zion routes aren't slanted and dirty enough to start with in so many cases ;-)
    > The most direct route is 5.11 finger crack, no thanks but there is a 5.9 that Zack said a simple rack would do. FYI a 60m rope in a couple stages is all that is needed to rappel back.
    OK, so we are talking about a multi rap route down, right? Question, is it from the Hepworth side, leaving one by the tunnel or does it go off the west side of Bridge Mountain, aiming at the museum? That slope would leave a ways to the road and a river crossing, although a hook up with the Pa'rous (sp?) trail would be an option. Just curious where exactly one would hook this descent route from?

It is the westside towards the museum and the trail/emloyee housing. Bo was able to follow the directions from Zack better than I could.