Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Pinch Point anchors and adding rocks

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by wisconnyjohnny, Mar 17, 2019.

1. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Went out yesterday. The video has me explaining how I moved a big rock to wedge in a little pot hole so that I could sling it with webbing for an anchor. Then in video in the heat of battle I notice a pinch point. Back story: in 2015 doing my first canyon with a gal named Eran second rap of soap creek there was no anchor. She utilized a pinch point and then added rocks behind the pinch point so as the webbing laid flat when weighted. I can’t believe I remembered this small fact.
    The video does not show the placement of several blocky rocks so that webbing laid flat. In the video I comment “I don’t like how webbing is In Crack but it doesn’t matter”
    Well yeah it does. And I stopped recording and did in fact place rocks and then never got the media of that. So question?
    Is this a proper technique when using pinch points of this nature? And what’s the idea behind it.
    Thanks for tips!

2. brokedownjeep

brokedownjeep

I’m very interested in learning more about this. On the one hand, making sure the webbing lies flat helps the integrity just like dressing a knot properly and ensures equal amounts of resistance and abrasion is applied across the webbing. However, stacking rocks between the anchor and the webbing to make the webbing lie flat could cause problems. If the small rocks slip, move, break, etc it could shock load the main pinch point anchor just like shocking a backup anchor if the main one fails. This could cause increased damage to the anchor and/or webbing. It seems that by stacking rocks, you’re essentially creating a weaker anchor. I might be completely off base here. Someone else want to chime in?
    wisconnyjohnny likes this.
  3. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

We think of everything I totally get your point. Excellent observation. So knowing the rocks you use is paramount. Simple geology observance is important knowing the difference between sandstone rocks and a rock made up of more dense material. (Not sure of science name) I did pick non sandstone rocks.
    I remember growing up I had a friend say “wedgies are your friends” all the time. JVS 1992
    So if you wedge the rocks properly and then weight I believe the same dynamics of what a water knot does comes into play. It tightens on itself.
    Again great point about something coming loose and actually creating a weaker anchor. I guess you gotta trust the dynamics, place bomber rocks and keep it weighted when it’s in the “honey” spot so to speak.
    Thanks for shedding some light brokendownjeep. Would love to see examples of better ways or even a professionals tutorial on this.
    So help me RAPHI if someone post a course link
    brokedownjeep likes this.
  4. brokedownjeep

brokedownjeep

Good point Johnny, rock selection and placement will definitely make a difference. I guess my question is does stacking the rocks to make the webbing flat make a substantial difference over just slinging the pinch point and letting your webbing lie as it may? And to echo your original question, what’s the proper way to create an anchor using a pinch point?
  5. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

LOL. Best part of the video.

re: webbing lying flat = better. I don't think it matters if the webbing is folded. What's your thinking on that, @brokedownjeep ?
    ratagonia and wisconnyjohnny like this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

I am usually fast with an opinion, but I could not really figure out what it is you did. The cactus thing though - awesome detail!

Tom
  7. GravityWins

GravityWins

Best part of the video, your new username: cactass
  8. brokedownjeep

brokedownjeep

I don’t know if it matters either @hankmoon just seein if someone has better insight or expertise.
  9. brokedownjeep

brokedownjeep

Correct me if this is wrong @wisconnyjohnny and forgive my caveman drawings. See earlier comments for more details.
    pinch.
  10. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Trying to respond but it says photos are too large for server to process? Wtf
  11. brokedownjeep

brokedownjeep

Sorry, I'm good with knots, not with computers. try this @wisconnyjohnny

[​IMG]

or this

pinch.