Send us a suggestion!

Petzl Self Braking Descender for Single Rope

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Kerry, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Kerry

Kerry Guest

2. TomJones

TomJones Guest

I have one and have used it a couple of times on long rappels.

On an Imlay 8mm rope, it is a 'moderately slow' rather than a 'stop'. I was able to use it by pushing the 'wrong way' on the lever and it controlled fairly well.

I used it on the last rap in Heaps, twice, on an Imlay 9mm, partly because it was a lot faster (for a speedy descent of the canyon). I found it easier to use by squeezing it open, then controlling the speed with the other hand. The edges of the lever are sharp when holding it with that much force for that long. The device got noticeably hot, even though it is fairly big.

But it does provide adjustable friction on the fly, better than most other devices where you have too much at the beginning and too little at the end. Lately, I've been going to the Pirana with an-off-leg-loop biner and maybe a Z-rig, rather than the stop.

If you are hauling up a 9mm rope for heaps, you can include the Stop clipped into the knot, so you don't have to carry it through the canyon.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Kerry" <taatmk@...> wrote:
    Has anyone ever used this descender from Petzl? (Model D09) > I am curious as to what your thoughts are about it.
    Thanks.
    Kerry
    > http://www.petzl.com/files/all/technical-notice/Sport/D09%20STOP%20D09800-H.pdf
  3. I keep one in my truck and use it with a 10mm static rope for severly pitched roof work. Havn't tried it with skinny rope. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kerry" taatmk@yahoo.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:32:33 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central Subject: [from Canyons Group] Petzl Self Braking Descender for Single Rope

Has anyone ever used this descender from Petzl? (Model D09) I am curious as to what your thoughts are about it.

Thanks.

Kerry

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/technical-notice/Sport/D09%20STOP%20D09800-H.pdf
  4. desertres

desertres Guest

I still have it. I used it twice with the additional braking(added carabiner) on 9mm.....I did stop to check it out, but it still did a slow creep.

not too much ascending - thumbs up passing a knot - thumbs up free air rappels - thumbs up tiered raps - thumbs down...this is where you rap and then have to go horizontalish for a time, then rap again. Forbid you need a useful free hand like theres a tree branch in the way that has to be cleared quickly without locking off. low angle raps/guided rappel - forget it photography on rappel/locking off - thumbs up progress capture/changing rappel starting point on rope - thumbs up

Over time, its been rusting away, and wouldnt stop or at least creep today on its own..and has turned into a standard rap device where braking is required.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Kerry" <taatmk@...> wrote:
    Has anyone ever used this descender from Petzl? (Model D09) > I am curious as to what your thoughts are about it.
    Thanks.
    Kerry
    > http://www.petzl.com/files/all/technical-notice/Sport/D09%20STOP%20D09800-H.pdf