Send us a suggestion!

News Petroglyphs Vandalized in Spry Canyon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slipknot, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Slipknot

Slipknot

I went through Spry in early June for as a short canyon before I headed home for the weekend. I received an email earlier today from a ranger in Zion NP asking for help to find the responsible party. I went through the first weekend of the month and it was untouched. If anyone has any information, please pass it on to Ranger Matt McCarthy.

"Hi there,
    This is Park Ranger Matt McCarthy with Zion National Park.
    You are being contacted because you were in the Zion permit system for doing the canyoneering route called Spry Canyon in late May/early June.

Unfortunately, this is not good news. Sometime late May/early June somebody ruined a petroglyph panel that is located at the top of Spry Canyon. We are, currently, trying to find any leads to find out who could be responsible for this. See attached photos.

We are trying to find who is responsible so we can at least educate them on the importance of these panels to our American culture. Petroglyphs and Pictographs are fragile, non-renewable cultural resources that, once damaged, can never be replaced.

Introduction of graffiti destroys the petroglyphs & pictographs and is disrespectful to contemporary Native Americans and their ancestors as well as ruining it for the next person to enjoy.

Rock art in the vicinity of Zion National Park was once assumed to date to Anasazi times about 1000 years ago. However, people have lived in the area for as many as 7000 years. The Archaic people preceded the Ancestral Puebloan peoples formerly known as the Virgin Anasazi. The ancestors of the modern Southern Paiute occupied this area as well. Non-disruptive dating techniques are now being developed that may answer such questions as the age of rock art.

To even try and understand a petroglyph or pictograph it needs to be viewed in relation to its environment: including the adjacent image(s), the entire escarpment, and the surrounding landscape.

If anyone has any information even to the dates they were there and when they saw this, please let us know. If you saw this petroglyph and did not see the graffiti, please let us know that too. See attached photos.

If you have any information regarding this graffiti, please contact me anytime at 435-619-1684 or at matthew_mccarthy@nps.gov.

Thanks for your time.

Matt McCarthy

Park Ranger
    Zion National Park
    Email: matthew_mccarthy@nps.gov
    Ph: 435-619-1684

DSC07120r. DSC07129r. DSC07150r. 1.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I consider the type of people who do these things as diseased or otherwise majorly malfunctioning human beings. I hope they find them and ban them from Zion
    Deerchaser and Blake Merrell like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Very sad, thanks Slipknot.

T
  4. Slipknot

Slipknot

Very sad indeed. Apparently everyone at work heard "What the F**k........are you kidding me" coming from my office. My boss walked in and asked if everything was okay. I showed him the pictures and he couldn't believe it. He said that my reaction was understandable but to try and keep it down next time.
    Rapterman, hank moon and ratagonia like this.
  5. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Last fall in Red Rock (NV, just outside Vegas) I was astounded at the amount of gang tagging/graffiti that had been imported from So. Cal. since my last visit. Stuff that was pretty far off the elephant trails. Here's hoping that trend never makes it to Zion.
    Rapterman likes this.
  6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

7. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

that sucks.. :furious:
  8. Rapterman

Rapterman

It is HORRIBLE!
    And yes, we have a SERIOUS 'tagging' problem at Red Rock Nevada.
    If you see any suspicious characters here (as in lugging cans of spray paint in the back-country!)
    then please report them to the authorities......after beating the **** out of them!
    Josh Case, Deagol, Tyler and 2 others like this.
  9. Kuenn

Kuenn

Yeah, it may fix the one, but there will be many to follow.

Like litterbugs, karst/antiquity "painters" are a scourge to civilization. I'm not sure what the solution is - multi-faceted for sure, but there needs to be a real education and public awareness campaign waged, as well as public watchdogs. Alas, "you can't fix stupid"!
  10. Josh Case

Josh Case Rock!

One thing we can all do, and I know it isn't easy, but stop posting locations we find Petros. Don't put pictures of them up on your Facebook, or any other media. Keep those pictures to yourself. Don't mention them in your trip reports. It sucks, but once the info is on the internet it is there forever, and more of this shit will happen. That's my opinion, and I am guilty of posting pictures of petros too. If they are off the beaten path we can help protect them by not revealing their locations... Just my opinion.
    darhawk, hank moon and Deagol like this.
  11. hank moon

Josh yes! Sharing can be a good thing. Knowing who you are sharing with can be even better.
    Mountaineer likes this.
  12. Wes1

Wes1

Any one have a good picture of the bad rope grooves in spry?
  13. gajslk

gajslk

Dunno about it sucking. I like discovering things on my own. The paint-by-numbers approach to adventure is pretty dull, really. Park here, go there, view petros, 60' drop off tree on right, suit up, swim 25m, rap 40' from bolts on left ... boring. Better to leave as much unsaid as possible. I know that's hard to do when you just went out, had a blast, and want to tell the world. But it's probably the wisest course ... The USGS took petros and ruins off of their topo maps decades ago for a reason ...

In many ways, the internet is a curse. But Pandora's Box is open, we gotta make the best of it.

Gordon
  14. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Discovery...
  15. hank moon

rope_grooves_spry.