Send us a suggestion!

Petroglyphs Vandalized in Capitol Reef NP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tirrus, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

The National Park Service has issued a press release for the recent vandalism of the most visited petroglyph panel in Capitol Reef National Park.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=41017323

The park is asking anyone with information about the identity of the vandals contact the ARPA Hotline @ tel:800-227-7286
    Or call the park @ tel:435-425-4135
  2. Bogie

Bogie

The SL Trib reported, "offenders can face up to two years in prison and up to $20,000 in fines" for vandalism in a National Park. Why not offer a standing REWARD of $10,000 for turning in an offender? That would be a net gain of $10,000 for the NP system to catch more offenders. Who wouldn't turn in their own neighbor for Ten Grand? Simple solution, yes. But ... the government?
    gajslk, Ram, darhawk and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

How terrible.

I wonder if the "selfie" trend has something to do with the rise in vandalism? Now days it seems that many people can't seem to do anything without leaving something.

Someone just vandalized some of the Colorado 14ers with permanent markers and paint.
    Ram likes this.
  4. Rapterman

Rapterman

Living next to Red Rock in Las Vegas (and being a building owner in North Las Vegas) I am as angered as anyone
    by graffiti-vandalism, and have suffered some of the consequences of it.
    BUT
    What I do NOT do is use this as an excuse for striking out against random nationalities/ ethnicities /religions on our canyon forum.
    Aren't our politics already polluted with enough of that?
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I thought the same thing, but the person who did it isn't worth the trouble. I am tempted to say more, but I guess what I have to say about the person in question would cross the line when it comes to personal attacks. That said, and without going into details, I have to say that my impression of the person in question has always been negative. I'm sure I am not the only person who wishes that he would just go away and never come back to this or any other forum. He almost never has anything useful to contribute.
  6. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

7. robert kyslovsky

robert kyslovsky

"striking out against random nationalities/ ethnicities /religions"

Sadly, that seems to be the American Way...I mean, now AND throughout our entire national history. Right? Shit no! Ignorant? shit yes. Ignorant like those who would desecrate sensitive archaeological areas and sensitive natural wonders. Or anything for that matter.
    Deagol likes this.