Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Personal flotation device

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Craigcrow, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Craigcrow

Craigcrow

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a small and effective floatation device for pothole use and swimming/rafting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. YoungBuck

YoungBuck

Empty water bottles, dry bags, I used to slip a boogie board into my pack just for that extra little umpf.
    Caleb Barksdale likes this.
  3. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I don't think you're going to find a solution for all of the above.

Canyons, I line my pack with a large thin dry bag or two and that's plenty of floatation.
    Rafting trips, I use a kokatat maximus (18lbs floatation).
    When weight matters I use a MTI Adventurewear Journey (1lb w/ 15.5lbs of floatation).
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

A wetsuit provides a significant bump of flotation, such that I seem to be unable to swim without one. The pack adds an additional bump (ie, pack with a drybag in it), which tends to be sufficient for keeping my head, neck and shoulders out of the water.

Good enough for Class B canyons.

Tom

Let me add: For being really useful for pothole escapes, a BIG pack, as in an overnight pack, has a big advantage as it has much more flotation than a medium sized daypack, which is often almost empty when in the canyon.

Tom
    zul likes this.