Send us a suggestion!

Pelican cases

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by David Meding, May 3, 2005.

1. David Meding

David Meding Guest

Tom, Awhile ago you made a comment about Pelican cases saying "just don't drag them through the water". Can you please elaborate since I just purchased one for my digital camera for the Monterrey rendezvous.

Dave
  2. Eugene Ahn

Eugene Ahn Guest

Don't know what Tom was referring to, but my experience with Pelican cases is so-so. It keeps the camera dry, even when dragging them through the water, but rappeling can't be very good for the camera, because the pelican case sure likes to bounce hard off the rocks and into your privates, and makes for a very cumbersome object to latch on to your harness. Being hard cases, I usually wind up holding them in my hand instead of in my backpack, and this inevitably leads the "check out the orange lunchbox" comment.

David Meding jabridaka@comcast.net> wrote: Tom, Awhile ago you made a comment about Pelican cases saying "just don't drag them through the water". Can you please elaborate since I just purchased one for my digital camera for the Monterrey rendezvous.

Dave

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the "Edit My Membership" link, and change your delivery option. Press "Save Changes".

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: canyons-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service.
  3. One thing about Pelican cases is the gaskets must be clean of sand, dirt and grit to really stay waterproof. This is extremely hard in a canyon environment. I carry 303 protectant wipes on river trips to keep mine clean.

Good luck, I have been trying to find a way to keep cameras dry and clean for a few years now and Pelican is the best I have found and it is not perfect.

Lori

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Eugene Ahn <euge_md@y...> wrote: > Don't know what Tom was referring to, but my experience with Pelican cases is so-so. It keeps the camera dry, even when dragging them through the water, but rappeling can't be very good for the camera, because the pelican case sure likes to bounce hard off the rocks and into your privates, and makes for a very cumbersome object to latch on to your harness. Being hard cases, I usually wind up holding them in my hand instead of in my backpack, and this inevitably leads the "check out the orange lunchbox" comment.

David Meding <jabridaka@c...> wrote: > Tom, > Awhile ago you made a comment about Pelican cases saying "just don't > drag them through the water". Can you please elaborate since I just > purchased one for my digital camera for the Monterrey rendezvous.
    Dave

> When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages.

> Groups Links
    To visit your group on the web, go to: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > canyons-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service.
  4. I carried a Pelican box for a couple years. It sure was nice to get that clunky item out of my pack with the addition of my Pentax WR camera! The Imlay canyon keg has proven a nice place to put the camera bag.

Neil

arivergoddess arivergoddess@yahoo.com> wrote: One thing about Pelican cases is the gaskets must be clean of sand, dirt and grit to really stay waterproof. This is extremely hard in a canyon environment. I carry 303 protectant wipes on river trips to keep mine clean.

5. Eugene Ahn

Eugene Ahn Guest

What I use now is a waterproof backpack for my camera gear. It does fine for one day non-technical trips, but on more technical routes, you'll have to find someone else willing to carry the rope and gear (this is for an SLR and multilens setup). For a technical multiday trip, waterproof cameras are definitely the method of choice. Less space, more ease is priceless!

neil wilkinson mtngoat59102@yahoo.com> wrote:I carried a Pelican box for a couple years. It sure was nice to get that clunky item out of my pack with the addition of my Pentax WR camera! The Imlay canyon keg has proven a nice place to put the camera bag.

Neil

arivergoddess arivergoddess@yahoo.com> wrote: One thing about Pelican cases is the gaskets must be clean of sand, dirt and grit to really stay waterproof. This is extremely hard in a canyon environment. I carry 303 protectant wipes on river trips to keep mine clean.

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Groups Links

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: canyons-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

6. Rich Carlson

Rich Carlson Guest

A few years ago, Koen invited me to observe an EFC Moniteur exam in Corsica. I took my 35mm and several rolls of Velvia film packed in a Pelican box. During one canyon descent, I jumped a 30-foot waterfall with my pack, Pelican box inside. Swam to the far side of the pool to take photos of others in the group. To my horror, one latch on the box had opened and the box filled with water. Camera and film ruined.

I now prefer carrying a waterproof camera.
  7. tnunemac

tnunemac Guest

I had a similar experience with a similar case. You have to open it in canyons to take canyon pictures, and canyon grit on the gasket will cause leaks. I destroyed a camera in one, and haven't used it since.

I got a waterproof case for my next camera, designed for scuba. That worked great, since I didn't have to open it in the field. The case was expensive, however, and, for my camera, quite bulky.

So I started using the Pentax Optio 43WR. It's waterproof, you don't necessarily need to open it in the field, and it's not bulky. That doesn't prevent you from losing it somewhere in the silt on the Dirty Devil if you're an idiot, of course, but I've managed to turn this unhappy accident into an excuse to try the 5MP OptioWP, which I absolutely adore so far.

Waterproof cameras you don't have to open up where it's gritty, and which can be carried in a pocket or handy pouch, seem just the thing if you want to come home with heaps of decent "fotos" for your latest canyoneering rave.

-Tyson

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Rich Carlson" <rcwild@w...> wrote:

> I now prefer carrying a waterproof camera.
  8. ionsmuse

ionsmuse Guest

I've used the smallest of the suitcase style Pelican's quite a bit for amy Rollei 35, never had any leaking issues. I alternate between carrying it just inside the top of my pack and clipped to the sternum strap with a locker.

-d

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "David Meding" <jabridaka@c...> wrote: > Tom, > Awhile ago you made a comment about Pelican cases saying "just don't > drag them through the water". Can you please elaborate since I just > purchased one for my digital camera for the Monterrey rendezvous.
    Dave
  9. Thanks to all for your input. I have been using a waterproof Advantix for about six years but it has finally crapped out after years of abuse and some great photos. I had purchased a water resistant digital a year or so ago but I don't want to risk dunking it, hence the Pelican case, the smallest in the line. I plan to tether it to my pack straps and tuck it into the PFD for hazard situations. Hopefully this will avoid any accidental openings. Wish me luck and thanks again. Dave

-------------- Original message -------------- I've used the smallest of the suitcase style Pelican's quite a bit for amy Rollei 35, never had any leaking issues. I alternate between carrying it just inside the top of my pack and clipped to the sternum strap with a locker.

-d

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "David Meding" <jabridaka@c...> wrote: > Tom, > Awhile ago you made a comment about Pelican cases saying "just don't > drag them through the water". Can you please elaborate since I just > purchased one for my digital camera for the Monterrey rendezvous.
    Dave

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

Groups Links