Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Pelican cases?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Scott Patterson, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I've been using Pelican camera cases for years now (especially canyoneering). I recently got a new one (1010 same size as I always get), and it leaked and drowned my camera. Thinking it was just a fluke, like an idiot, I got another camera and another pelican case and guess what happened yesterday?

Seriously, those things used to be waterproof. What happened with Pelican cases?

PS, yes, the camera was the right size for the case.

Any similar stories?
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I seal the little breather valve on mine with seam grip.

Or the easy solution is to get a WP camera
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  3. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

the micro cases are not even close to waterproof, except when brand new and immaculately clean. And even then, just close.

I use micro cases for splash and bang protection, for which they work great.

the standard cases are waterproof, but must keep seals clean.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  4. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Had one back in 04. A buddy put his camera in it and had it on the outside of his pack thru Neon. His camera was toast. I've been using Tom's dry bags (orange) with great results. The kegs are also good, but not good on packs in the tighter stuff.
  5. MrAdam

MrAdam

Yeah, the micro cases are not even close to waterproof. I use one as extra protection for my waterproof camera though. The camera in the case fell the entire 110' on the last rap out of Imlay and survived!